View Full Version : Note category sync to Pocket PC - iPAQ

edbo
07-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Note category sync to Pocket PC - iPAQ

I make the note in Outlook 2000 but when I sync with my iPAQ the record in not categorized on the iPAQ. This is not true for contact records. Am I missing something in the set up?

Any insight to this would be a great help.[/list]

Janak Parekh
07-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Well, Outlook on the desktop doesn't support categories for Notes, IIRC. ActiveSync will sometimes work around this by naming notes weirdly (using a "folder-like notation") if you categorize them on the Pocket PC, but I've just gotten used to not categorizing my notes at all. :|

--janak

ctmagnus
07-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Notes on the desktop actually do work with categories, but the categories don't sync across to the PPC. The same thing happens with the categories on the Pocket PC. Notes in Pocket Informant (for one) are able to have categories assigned to them but they don't sync back to the desktop.

If you absolutely need categorization in notes, you might want to check out third-party solution such as PhatNotes Standard Edition (http://www.phatware.com/phatnotes/hpcnotes3std.html) although I don't know if any of them support category syncing.

Janak Parekh
07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Notes on the desktop actually do work with categories
:oops: You know, I just discovered it. Sigh. The Pocket PC seems to encode the category information differently than the desktop.

In any case, Notes on the desktop is the "runt" component of Outlook -- it's poor featurewise and supportwise, and as far as I can tell that lack of features is also realized in ActiveSync's Notes conduit. :|

--janak

edbo
07-06-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. Another question, somewaht on the same topic. I'm not a fan of Outlook :evil:, in fact I realy do not like it but it is the only thing I know will sync up with my Pocket PC. I had been using a PIM (Day Timer 2000) but this product in no longer supported.

Any suggestion on other PIM software that syncs up with Pocket PC? I have looked but have not found anyting.

Edbo

Janak Parekh
07-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Any suggestion on other PIM software that syncs up with Pocket PC? I have looked but have not found anyting.
Outlook is your best bet, honestly. It's not terrible. If this really poses a problem for you, you'll have to look at third-party sync packages like IntelliSync (www.intellisync.com) and see what they support.

--janak