View Full Version : X30 LCD problems

foldedspace
07-04-2004, 01:54 AM
I've owned 3 other PDAs including an Axim X5, and my new X30 easily has the worst lcd I've seen. It's impossible to view in landscape without holding it at an odd angle and even in portrait I have to hold it awkwardly. Anyone else notice anything odd about their X30 lcd? I'm calling Dell on Tuesday to see about a replacement.

:(

mara6
07-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Well on the Aximsite there has been a lot of talk about how X30 screen is really bad. So I don't a replacement will help any, but you can give it a shot! :|

Sven Johannsen
07-04-2004, 04:13 AM
I've never been known as being terribly critical, but I am sitting here with an X5, an X30, a 2215 and a 4155. I'd say the brightest screen is the 4155 with the 2215 and X30 tied for second and the X5 dead last. For color saturation I'd rank them the same way. This is looking at the stock today screen on each and the 4155 has a screen protector. It's the only one that does. They are all about arms length sitting at the angle they do in a cradle, fairly normal, and all with backlight up as high as it would go.

To me all are acceptable, the X30 puts in a good showing especially at the price, and even the X5 isn't bad, if it weren't sitting next to the 4155. I certainly have no complaints on my X30's screen. I did turn off the Cleartype. I don't like it.

foldedspace
07-04-2004, 04:26 AM
I have no complaints about the brightness or color balance. But the 'sweet spot' is very small. Every LCD as a viewable range that you have to stay in to see the screen properly. But with my X30, unlike my Loox (which wasn't as bright), I have to hold it in *one* rather awkward position to see the screen properly without getting a 'negative' or double effect in landscape. In portrait, while not as bad, I must keep the top of the screen angled towards me, despite the fact that as it lies in your hand, it tends to angle the other way.

Bleh....

Kowalski
07-04-2004, 11:26 AM
this is the first bad point about x30.
i was thinking to buy an x30 or wait for the a730 wi-fi version to come out but if the screen is not good as my 2215, i would consider not to buy x30

CoreyJF
07-04-2004, 01:43 PM
I don't see it. 5 minutes ago I was sitting outside on our deck reading and ebook in lanscape mode, relaxing in a lounge chair and had no problems reading it at any angle. In fact Right now I have my x30 in lanscape mode at least 2 feet from me. It is laying on the desk and I am sitting upright, so it is better then a 45 degree angle and I can read every word. I can not see a double effect. I agree that it does not seem to be as bright as my 4155, but it is bright enough. It is usable and readible in any light I have brought it in, from Sunny and 90 degree days at the pool to low light reading reading in bed. There actually seems to be a better color balance then the 4155.

Anthony Caruana
07-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Hmmm... I recently had one for a few days for a writing assignment and it has a dead pixel almost in the exact centre of the screen. Maybe Dell is keeping prices down by using lower quality LCDs.

BTW, Dell's dead pixel policy was replacement if there were more than 2 dead pixels.

My 2210 and Zire 72 both have great screens and I can recommend either device. The yellow screen issues of the 19XX have made me glad to have not bought one of those devices.

Janak Parekh
07-04-2004, 07:44 PM
FWIW, most LCDs have an "optimal viewing angle", and in landscape on PDAs (and portrait on tablet PCs) you have to hold them in a near-perfect orientation to see the entire screen evenly. My e805 has a similar issue when holding it landscape (although I don't know if the x30 is comparatively worse -- my e805 is fine in portrait). Similarly, my Portege 3505 is much better in landscape than portrait. There's no easy answer to this. :(

BTW, Dell's dead pixel policy was replacement if there were more than 2 dead pixels.
This is not uncommon amongst other OEMs as well.

--janak

Kowalski
07-05-2004, 12:16 AM
funny. we are talking on only 1 out of 76 000 pixels but this may be very anoying. my friend had a dead pixel in his laptop and you could easly notice the bad pixel. he called the company and they said they would replace the unit for more than 3 bad pixels

Anthony Caruana
07-05-2004, 12:32 AM
I should have added that the dead pixel, despite being in the centre of the screen, was only noticable when I had a black background on the screen, such as when I opened Media Player. Otherwise, I couldn't tell it was there.

Janak Parekh
07-05-2004, 06:29 AM
I should have added that the dead pixel, despite being in the centre of the screen, was only noticable when I had a black background on the screen, such as when I opened Media Player. Otherwise, I couldn't tell it was there.
Ah - technically, I believe it's a "live" or "stuck" pixel then - a "dead" pixel would be the precise opposite.

My e805 has a (literally) dead pixel, but it has a higher density so it's unnoticeable. For a 240x320 screen, I have to admit I'd prefer a manufacturer allow replacements for even one...

--janak

milkman dan
07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I belive that the screen has to have .14% dead pixels before it is considered defective :( When you talk to a warranty department they try to say that ALL lcd's will do this down the road... BS! My partner is still toting her 600E (pentium 2) and it has a better screen then my newer toshiba satallite3000 :(