View Full Version : Is there a quick way of restoring all my info after the battery has gone flat

dutyhero
07-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Can you help ,
This week my 2210 has been wiped twice . The first was lack of battery power , and the second was when i updated the ROM to version 1.10. On both occasions i had to start the system as if it were new . Because the mobile device names Pocket PC were used i had to rename them . I've got back all the info that was on there . However my Avant Go settings are a pain to correct.

So my question is :- Am i doing everything correct , and Is there a quicker way ! I've saved quite a bit of the info on Sd card (TomTom 3 maps etc ) Is the answer to this question as simple as , never let your PPC run out of juice ? If so i apploise now for wasting your time !

perchance
07-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi -----I personally was thinking of getting the Proporta Probackup card
http://secure.proporta.com/proporta/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=706&t_mode=de
s
This card has very good reviews and comes in 32,64 and 128 mb sizes.
Does anyone have an opinion on these cards as opposed to using Sprite backup?

dutyhero
07-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I like the idea thats its so easy your mum could use it . I also want to check if when you lose power. Like i did that i done everything correctly . ie i had to start the whole system off from scratch and remane my system . Because i ithought the whole idea was you just pop the baby in the cradle , the system says " this idiot hasn't recharged his PDA for a bit "and it tranfers all my data back !!

Janak Parekh
07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
So my question is :- Am i doing everything correct , and Is there a quicker way !
As prevention against hard resets, there's an iPAQ Backup program built into your PDA, which can make a complete image of your unit and store it on an SD card pretty easily. That's the easiest prevention apart from making sure to sync regularly...

For ROM upgrades, no, you must start from scratch. :(

--janak

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 05:55 PM
This week my 2210 has been wiped twice . The first was lack of battery power , and the second was when i updated the ROM to version 1.10. On both occasions i had to start the system as if it were new . Because the mobile device names Pocket PC were used i had to rename them . I've got back all the info that was on there . However my Avant Go settings are a pain to correct.

So my question is :- Am i doing everything correct , and Is there a quicker way ! I've saved quite a bit of the info on Sd card (TomTom 3 maps etc ) Is the answer to this question as simple as , never let your PPC run out of juice ? If so i apploise now for wasting your time !
Well, you never should let your Pocket PC battery die. :-) However, if your 2210 has iPAQ Backup, you could use that to easily restore your system if it does die.

Unfortunately, ROM updates are a different issue. You shouldn't restore a Pocket PC from a backup made before a ROM update because it could screw up the update. In that case, you have to start from scratch, but ActiveSync will at least let you install most of your programs faster using the Add/Remove Programs action.

To further speed the process, I back up certain important data to my PC before I upgrade, like my Start Menu folders, program data files stored under the \Program Files folder, extra fonts and my Reader activation data.

Steve

dutyhero
07-04-2004, 09:40 AM
next time i won't ignore that back up program !!
Next silly question :- Once i've made a backup how do i restore the info without having to start from scratch ?

mrkablooey
07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
I use Sprite Backup (which you can get a discount on if you're already using iPaq backup, if I remember correctly) which can make a self-extracting backup or just a regular backup. It can also watch the battery so if it goes below 30% or whatever you want, it will backup to SD or CF card.

http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html

Of course you can also join PPCThoughts (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) for other discounts, and the cool "I'm a subscriber!" icon beneath your avatar. ;)