View Full Version : Pocket PC 2003 Emulator Problems

Stig
07-03-2004, 10:32 AM
I am trying to develop a pocket pc application that will use SQL server ce and i am developing in vs.net 2003. I don't have a PDA that i can connect so i naturally need to use an emulator and am using the pocket pc 2003(from the SDK) and i start it up from vs.net and from what i have read i need to be able to connect the emulator using activesync. So what i have tried is connecting my to com ports together and use activesync and the emulator to connect but that is not working and i need quite urgent help.

I have also tried to use embedded visual tools to set it up and get it connected. I hope it is nothing stupid that i am doing but please i am ready to drop kick my computer out the door.

Kowalski
07-03-2004, 06:11 PM
afew mounths ago i read an article on using null modem cable to debug and application using active sync and emulator. but i didnt concantrate because i have a pocket pc and have only one com port on my pc.
most of the times we as programmers do complicated jobs but sometimes we just skip over so simple things and loose hours on locating the problem. so just take it easy.
if i were you, i would start from the beginning. be sure that you configured platform manager and dont forget to save the emulator state instead of shut down. this way you can save your settings you done in the emulator.

smashcasi
07-03-2004, 06:30 PM
I haven't used it myself but there is a developer power toy available for VS .NET 2003 to establish an ActiveSync session from the emulator:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&displaylang=en

If that doesn't work you might check out this FAQ on setting up the null modem connection:

http://www.daycounter.com/EmulatorActiveSync.html

Kowalski
07-05-2004, 12:22 AM
this was the paper i mentioned.
and smashcasi, i looked up your webpage and this is the simplest one i have ever seen.
you know what they say: small is beautifull but you could put some information about yourself too :|

Stig
07-05-2004, 08:40 AM
I have got it working my problem was that the cable that i had was not a null modem cable (against what i thought) but i was able to open one of the connectors and cross the cables and create a null modem connection(the wonders of a screw driver, wire cutters and a solidering iron) :D . But it is Beautiful i have an emulator up and running with the compact .net framework and last night got SQL CE installed and running. Well now need to code the application.

davemiller
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I've just been trying to install eVC4 and the install has an error, something which (from the brief eror messge and no other diagnostic than " d'err...sumtink iz rong") hints at hardware.

Do I actually need some kit to use eVC???
When I used eVC in 2001, emulator meant just that, code compiled for the desktop PC not the PocketPC which produced a lookalike on the PC screen.

The error message changed after I installed ActiveSynch (which I didn't at first cos I had no external hardware...)

Kowalski
07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
eVc access the emulator or the device in several ways.
i am using TCP/IP connection for emulator and active stink for the device.
you should check these setting in the platform manager configuration