View Full Version : I'm so lost

benzo
07-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi,

I want to work buy myself a ppc, but just don't know which one to get. I've heard a lot about the Dell Axims- good and bad reviews.

My requirements:
1. Wifi enabled
2. Decent RAM and processor speed (need to be able to read some big chunky pdf files)
3. Good battery life
4. Relatively durable, as my work is quite physical
5. Size isn't so much an issue, but nothing too clunky
5. Not too pricey

Please can someone advise me..

Thanks in advance.

Benzo

dean_shan
07-03-2004, 01:45 AM
I'd say get a Toshiba e750.

Vidge
07-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi,
My requirements:
1. Wifi enabled
3. Good battery life

Aren't those two things incompatible? :)

dmacburry2003
07-03-2004, 05:11 AM
Dell Axim X30 - middle version

$251 w/ wifi, very good processor, and a huge 64MB's of RAM.

You probably won't need the 300+ dollar ones because 312mhz is plenty to look at PDF's.

BTW I'm thinking about buying that one myself :lol:

PS: Dell Axim X30 has WM2003SE so you can look at PDF's in landscape format easily. Plus the device is pretty small. :wink:

EDIT: sorry about the link: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x30_med?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

benzo
07-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I had a look at the Dell axim- nice!!!

I especially like the lanscape mode- perfect for my pdf files that have a lot of images.

Where is the cheapest place to buy it in the US (online preferably), as I am UK based where technology is expensive.

I can't wait to dump my Palm device!

dmacburry2003
07-03-2004, 10:45 AM
A quick search on www.pricegrabber.com may show that Dell is the best place to buy it :?

BTW I believe that there is an extension of PocketPCThoughts that uses PriceGrabber, so it must be a decent search engine.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=12&form_keyword=Axim+X30

One more thing, Dell is currently having a sale (10%) off :D

Other than that, I don't know where to look :|

milkman dan
07-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I am going to have to reccomend the 750 as well, tosh PDA's are build out of metal as opposed to most other pdas being constructed of plastic, thats gotta score some duribility kudos!

Janak Parekh
07-03-2004, 05:27 PM
tosh PDA's are build out of metal as opposed to most other pdas being constructed of plastic
Really!? That's news to my e805, which is a blue-painted plastic. ;)

The e740 and e750 units were painted with a metallic paint, but I'm pretty certain they aren't metallic. The last true metallic Pocket PC was the 548, and you could feel the weight.

--janak

Janak Parekh
07-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi,
My requirements:
1. Wifi enabled
3. Good battery life

Aren't those two things incompatible? :)
Depends on the battery size. The iPAQ 4350, with its large battery (1500mAh or thereabouts) provides excellent WiFi performance with good battery life. Most other PDAs with an extended battery option also work well, although the extended battery is bulky. My e805 with its extended battery lasts forever.

--janak

Kowalski
07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
x30 is the way to go for sure.
and for the physical issue, searching a good case is more logical.

Fishie
07-03-2004, 08:35 PM
tosh PDA's are build out of metal as opposed to most other pdas being constructed of plastic
Really!? That's news to my e805, which is a blue-painted plastic. ;)

The e740 and e750 units were painted with a metallic paint, but I'm pretty certain they aren't metallic. The last true metallic Pocket PC was the 548, and you could feel the weight.

--janak

My e310 was most definitly metal.

dean_shan
07-03-2004, 09:46 PM
The e740 and e750 units were painted with a metallic paint, but I'm pretty certain they aren't metallic.

Being a previous e740 and a current e750 user I'd have to say that it's metal. They get cold like metal, feels like metal, and dents like metal :oops:. I like the metal look, I want Toshiba to make their next series metal cased.

Janak Parekh
07-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Being a previous e740 and a current e750 user I'd have to say that it's metal. They get cold like metal, feels like metal, and dents like metal :oops:. I like the metal look, I want Toshiba to make their next series metal cased.
Hmmm. My officemate used an e740, and it didn't strike me as metal the few times I held it... maybe I was using weight as a judge. I stand corrected, thanks to dean_shan and Fishie. Anyone know what metal they use?

That said, Toshiba's abandoned it in any case. I can speak with great authority that the e805 I have is not, as it's sitting right next to me.

--janak

Fishie
07-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Hmmm. My officemate used an e740, and it didn't strike me as metal the few times I held it... maybe I was using weight as a judge. I stand corrected, thanks to dean_shan and Fishie. Anyone know what metal they use?

That said, Toshiba's abandoned it in any case. I can speak with great authority that the e805 I have is not, as it's sitting right next to me.

--janak

Yah but the sides are still a magnesium alloy.
The previous Toshiba´s were a light aluminum alloy if I am correct.