View Full Version : h4150 ROM update problem - no model ID

sbp
07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
I can't use the h4150 ROM update, because of Error 244 - Invalid Model ID.
I found a chat about it in HP formal support forum (see: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1088760010225+28353475&threadId=621036)

It seems that due to a manufacturing problem, my iPAQ doesn't have the model ID, language and some other details in the ROM. This shows in the Asset Viewer - those fields are blank.

I can send my device for support, because it is under warranty, but I prefer to avoid it, I'm using it daily.

My question is: Does anyone know a way to write the missing values to the ROM? Or alternatively, to install the ROM update bypassing the model ID check?

Thank you!
Sharon.

milkman dan
07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
This reminds me of the problem with certain goverment issue dell laptops. You had to actually crap the hood, short out two pins on an IC, boot the laptop up off a specific floppy, then throw in an imaginary product code. I am not having much luck searching for a program that will help you out though :(

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 04:08 PM
My question is: Does anyone know a way to write the missing values to the ROM? Or alternatively, to install the ROM update bypassing the model ID check?
There's been a lot of discussion on this in our ROM update thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29297). As far as I can tell, most people are electing to send them back -- HP is apparently pretty quick about the turnaround.

--janak

sbp
07-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the response.
I'm afraid getting support from HP isn't as quick for me as for most of the guys in the forums. I'm not at the US, and if I give the device to HP for support, it is shipped to the US. It will takes about 2 weeks until I get it back.

I'm still hoping for a "magic solution" that will spare me this long detachment from my iPAQ. 8)

milkman dan
07-03-2004, 02:36 PM
SBP: when I got them to ship my side grips for a 2215, it came 1 1/2 days later in the mail!

Janak Parekh
07-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm still hoping for a "magic solution" that will spare me this long detachment from my iPAQ.
I haven't heard any as of yet... :| Some third parties might have custom flashing tools, but that's something you'll have to research and it has its associated risks.

SBP: when I got them to ship my side grips for a 2215, it came 1 1/2 days later in the mail!
Yes, but you're in Canada. You're making an assumption that sbp is in North America...

--janak

Zack Mahdavi
07-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm still hoping for a "magic solution" that will spare me this long detachment from my iPAQ. 8)

I am one of those with the problem you're experiencing. I searched all over the net for a fix, but unfortunately, no one has one yet. My iPaq is currently with HP now...

I don't know if it's possible for HP to create an installer that doesn't check for the model ID or language. Maybe you could try getting in touch with someone higher up in HP's tech support.