View Full Version : Memo Button accidental switch ons

Fergus
07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
I quite like the memo button on the side of my ipaq and apart from the power button it is the only other button which can turn on my ipaq. Unfortunately this is what it does more often than what i want and i end up with memos of background noise taking up space or the battery being run down.

The second issue i have with the memo record button is if I want to record more than just a short note without having to turn on the ipaq in the usual way i have to hold down the button on the side. What i would like to know if there is a piece of software out there which could allow me to record long pieces of audio without having to constantly have my finger on the memo record button or having to power up the ipaq input the password and go to the Notes program to start recording.

One other thing is there a way of recording a memo without the ipaq firing up eachtime?

Many Thanks
Fergus

Sven Johannsen
07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
What iPAQ do you have? Any of the buttons including the record button can be set to turn on a 4155. The application buttons and record button can be set to not turn on the device as well. Buttons control panel, lock tab.

You can initiate continuous record by tapping the record button in notes, rather than using the hardware button. There may be an app that can use the hardware button to start the recording and a second press to stop, but I am not sure how you expect any software to record without turning the unit on?

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 07:47 PM
If you're wanting good recording software get NoteM (http://www.zavorine.net/wince/). It records in MP3 format and you have no restrictions on how long recordings can be.

Fergus
07-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Sorry its the 4350.

Dean & Sven you must have misunderstood my request, I'm not sure i can make it any clearer perhaps you could read my message again and if you have a suggestion i would love to hear it.

Regards
Fergus

I quite like the memo button on the side of my ipaq and apart from the power button it is the only other button which can turn on my ipaq. Unfortunately this is what it does (when its on my belt) more often than what i want and i end up with unwanted memos of background noise taking up space or the battery being run down.

The second issue i have with the memo record button is if I want to record more than just a short note without having to turn on the ipaq and go into Notes in the usual way i have to hold down the memo button on the side. What i would like to know if there is a piece of software out there which could allow me to record long pieces of audio without having to constantly have my finger holding the memo record button or having to power up the ipaq input the password and go to the Notes program to start recording.

One other thing is there a way of recording a memo but without the ipaq firing up eachtime i.e. without the screen turning on?

Sven Johannsen
07-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I thought I understood what you meant but you have two conflicting requests.

Unfortunately this is what it does (when its on my belt) more often than what i want and i end up with unwanted memos of background noise taking up space or the battery being run down.

That implied you didn't want the record button turning it on, which you can fix. However once you do that, of course, you have no option but to turn the device on with the power button. So you either get one button access, or not.

You can certainly redirect the record button to NoteM or any other app you have. I don't know if NoteM or any other recording app can be configured to start recording when started, (and not stop when released)which is sort of what you are looking for. Maybe dean can help on that.

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
You can certainly redirect the record button to NoteM or any other app you have. I don't know if NoteM or any other recording app can be configured to start recording when started, (and not stop when released)which is sort of what you are looking for. Maybe Dean can help on that.

You're right. With NoteM you just press the record button and it starts, no need to hold.

Fergus
07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Okay here is what i am saying, I want a program which will record a memo is easy to start but won't be triggered by mistake, won't need the memo button to be held down continously and won't turn on the ipaq (when you just want to record).
The way to do this is to config the recording program to activate only on a double/triple key press of the memo record program and then stop on a single key press. What do you think is this possible?

Regards
Fergus

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 10:57 PM
won't turn on the ipaq (when you just want to record).
I don't see how this would happen, but with NoteM once you start recording you can press a button to have the screen turn off. Is that what you were thinking?

Fergus
07-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Well Dean i don't think its rocket science, the program would just have to wait and trap a double or triple hardware interrupt all occurring within the space of a second before activating the specific recording software.

Tried NoteM and uninstalled it double quick, caused way too many lockups on my baby.

Thanks anyway
Fergus

Kowalski
07-05-2004, 12:02 AM
lock ups? i am using notem almost everyday but i have never experienced any problems. besides this is the best sound recording program i have tried.

Robb Bates
07-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately this is what it does (when its on my belt) more often than what i want and i end up with unwanted memos of background noise taking up space or the battery being run down.

I discovered with my h1910 in my HP leather belt case (which stores the PPC sideways) is that the record button would get pressed multiple times by my car's belt buckle. It just happened to be exactly where the record button is.

The second issue i have with the memo record button is if I want to record more than just a short note without having to turn on the ipaq and go into Notes in the usual way i have to hold down the memo button on the side.

If you just tap the record button, it will turn on and launch the Notes app with the recorder enabled, but not recording. You can then tap the record button on the screen and record for a long time without having to hold down the button.

This might not be exactly what you wanted, but it's a little closer to a solution.

Robb

Fergus
07-10-2004, 05:29 PM
If you just tap the record button, it will turn on and launch the Notes app with the recorder enabled, but not recording. You can then tap the record button on the screen and record for a long time without having to hold down the button.

Hi Robb,
I know but if you are in a meeting and you don't want to be faffing around with some pda trying to set up a recording session. I'd like to be able to record without fuss, basicly I don't want to be drawing too much attention to myself, pls note I'm not trying to do covert recordings.

Let me give you an example, I was on a course a couple of weeks ago which was on meditation and I wanted to record what the leader was explaining, but since we were all sitting around in a large circle I would have without doubt drawn unnecessary attention to myself from the group leader and from others if i took my pda out and started the recording function, if only momentarily and i am not usually not an attention seeker :) Often the gadgets we folk use are often a turn off for some people as often as they are a fascination for others. I love my pda but feel that it should be seemless in operation when the situation demands, in reality it is far from this but its getting there.

This is surely possible especially with the 4350's extra dedicated record button, I have tried getting NoteM to work but don't have the time to spend messing around doing hard resets and since so many other users have had problems I am happy to let it go. If its works for you then lucky you!

Regards
Fergus

Robb Bates
07-12-2004, 03:56 PM
So I guess a two button method is too much. Probably because you'd have to pull out your PPC tap the record button then hit the record icon, whereas you'd like to just puch one button without having to pullyour PPC out of it's case or where ever you store it, yes?

Well, I know of nothing that will do that, but there has to be something out there.

Robb