View Full Version : re: the lack of number line on stowaway keyboards

sp0om
07-01-2004, 01:42 PM
for those of you who own a thinkoutside stowaway keyboard: the unit has not number line. is this a big problem? I recently got gypped on ebay and am now in need of a new keyboard and was considering a stowaway xt for my ipaq 2215.

this fall, i am going into the IT program at the university of minnesota and plan to use my ppc as a note taker. i would think that the number line is particularly important for a math/science student like myself, but does it really matter? also, how do you input numbers. is there some sort of secondary shift button that turns some keys to numbers?

Robb Bates
07-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Hello again,

More keyboard action, eh?

Well, I had a PockeTop (www.pocketop.net) keyboard and it lacked a number key row. I found this to be a huge pain in the rear. Partially because of the lack of numbers, but also because of the contortions you have to go through to enter the symbols that are normally on the number keys. I mean, a shift key, a numbers key, a symbols key, a control key, and a funtion key!!! Too many!!!

I have the HP foldable keyboard and swear by it. Much like the one you got but had to return. I'd look for another one, but, hehe, one that works!!! You won't regret it. It's the best, most natural keybaord I found. As far as folded size goes, I didn't find any benefit to the smaller size of the PockeTop over the HP. I mean, I didn't carry either in my pocket (I kept it in my book bag) so the difference in size didn't make any difference.

As far as taking notes (I'm working on my Electrical Engineering Degree) the PPC isn't all that. It works great for History and Government classes, but for any class that has equations or graphs or anything other than plain text that you need to write down, Pen and Paper are the only realistic option. I still use my PPC for note taking all the time and highly recommend it. Just get a keyboard that you can use without a hassle.

Robb

ctmagnus
07-02-2004, 04:10 AM
As far as taking notes (I'm working on my Electrical Engineering Degree) the PPC isn't all that. It works great for History and Government classes, but for any class that has equations or graphs or anything other than plain text that you need to write down, Pen and Paper are the only realistic option.

Juxt curious: Have you tried anything like PhatPad (http://www.phatware.com/PHATPAD.HTML) for note-taking in those classes?

kosmicki
07-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I just got one (see my sig link) have not really used it much yet. Though the sucker is so portable, I don't have to think if I should take it with me or not.