View Full Version : 2210 Battery life with MagiStor 2.2GB HDD / CF HDDs in general

MacBriar
07-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Hi all

I currently use my 2210 with a 512 MB SD card and 256 MB CF card for playing WMA files, I was wondering what the battery life of my 2210 would be like if I bought a MagiStor 2.2GB CF HDD.

I can pick up one of these units for approx £120 compared to a 1GB SD card coming in at £196.

Any help/experiences would be greatly appreciated

Ewan

jrgriffin1
07-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I have ipaq 2210 and have noticed problems in running movies from my 256Mb SD card when my magicstor 2.2GB CF card is also installed. Take the microdrive out and the movies run fine in Pocket TV but with both cards in the ipaq, the movie starts running from the SD card but then freezes. Have had this happen with 2 SD cards. very odd. haven't found a solution yet but thought you's liek to know. JG

wocket
07-01-2004, 11:16 AM
I've stuck a 4GB CF in mine (ripped out of an mp3 player) and hav'nt really noticed a big drop in battery performance and i've been playing music on it no my way home from work. The microdrive only powers up when you are using it and it runs a bit faster than standard CF memory so for music, movies etc it's great.

Glad to see a fellow NI person here. :D

rob1303
07-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I have the 2210, a 256mb sd card (for programs and back-ups) and the 2.2gb MagiStor with about 1,000 songs on it in .ogg format.

I use PocketMVP (version .8.011804) with the cache set to 12mb and play them with the screen toggled to off.

It uses between 25 and 30% of the (standard 900mAh battery) per hour of playing (with the occasional screen interaction for alarms, skip songs etc). I used it for just under two hours straight tonight and the battery was showing 58% left afterwards. I love it.

I have a spare battery (which fits in the credit card slots in the leather case I have), but have only needed to use it once. This was because I find that PMVP's "Keep Alive" option doesn't work and I have turn off the "Turn off device if not used for XX mins" in the advanced power settings and have once or twice forgotten to switch it back on after my commute so that when an alarm goes off and I miss it, my device stays on and runs the battery down ;-(

I use the music player for about three hours a day (with a recharge during the day and another night).

By the way, with that many songs on the drive I have found it is quicker to slightly remove it when performing a soft reset and reinsert it after the today screen is showing (put a bit of tape on it as the drive is quite difficult to remove).

Hope this helps.

Rob

SHC
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
I had a magicstore drive in my 2210 but sent it back. The battery drain was quite significant and also it would not play MP3's without stuttering. It was fault tested and replaced with a 1gb CF card. I don't know what fault they found.

Chris Spera
07-01-2004, 10:09 PM
I had a MagicStor and ended up swapping it out for a Hitatchi 2GB MicroDrive.

I find that the battery drain is noticable, but I'm (usually... stolen power supply not-withstanding) usually not too far away from some sort of power source. I ALWAYS have it plugged in while commuting to and from the office...

Kowalski
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
i've never used a micro drive and never will. the idea of carying a phiysical drive is not good for me.
and this is for sure that moving parts of the micro drive will drain significantly more power than solid-state cards