View Full Version : Refurbed Toshiba e750 wifi - what do you think?

Stephen Beesley
06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Well it really is about time I put my faithful ol' Jornada out to pasture. It isn't so much that it is faulty or anything, but after over two years I am hankering for a change - and at least built in Wifi.

Now ideally I would love to upgrade to a nice shinny new WM2003SE vga wonder, but Realistically that is probably just not going to happen .

So I have been looking around at my options. Checking out ebay it seems that an e750 or an Ipaq 5455 might be a couple of options. I have already posted on the Ipaq forum asking for comments about the 5455, now it is time to ask any e750 users out there.

I can pick one up for less than £200 on ebay UK. Anyway I figure that for this price I get a nice big screen, WM2003 and dual wireless. Okay so it isn't vga and it doesn't have built in BT (which the Ipaq does) but there is a WM2003SE upgrade path and it might keep me going until I can afford the uberPDA of my dreams.

Comments/advice/warnings from any current or past e750 users would be greatly appreciated!

dean_shan
06-30-2004, 04:15 PM
I bought a refurbed e750 and it's been great. Go for it. The Toshiba's are a good machine.

Janak Parekh
06-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Okay so it isn't vga and it doesn't have built in BT (which the Ipaq does) but there is a WM2003SE upgrade path and it might keep me going until I can afford the uberPDA of my dreams.
Be careful: the e750 is a nice device from what I've heard, but I don't think I've heard of any announced SE upgrade path for it.

--janak

Stephen Beesley
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Okay so it isn't vga and it doesn't have built in BT (which the Ipaq does) but there is a WM2003SE upgrade path and it might keep me going until I can afford the uberPDA of my dreams.
Be careful: the e750 is a nice device from what I've heard, but I don't think I've heard of any announced SE upgrade path for it.

--janak

Janak - you are dead right. Must have been wishful thinking on my part.

Some of the things I do like about the e750 compared to some of the other options I have looked at (like 22xx and 41xx Ipaqs) is the styling the fact I can still use my CF memory cards and the extra built in memory. The one downside is the lack of BT built in - I was hoping to pair my next device with my SE T610 phone.

The prices on ebay even for a new unit look fairly competative with the 2210s and the extra screen size and built in wifi might just compensate for the lack of WM2003 if (after some research seems likely) Toshiba doesn't offer an upgrade.

Of course I might still end up holding on to my Jornada even longer in the hope that something vga might eventually drop into my price range - of course by then my eyesight might be so bad that I will not be able to read the screen :D

Janak Parekh
07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
The one downside is the lack of BT built in - I was hoping to pair my next device with my SE T610 phone.
I believe an SDIO or CF BT card should run fine in the e750.

Of course I might still end up holding on to my Jornada even longer in the hope that something vga might eventually drop into my price range - of course by then my eyesight might be so bad that I will not be able to read the screen :D
It depends on the size you want. ;) I'd expect the e805 to slowly drop in price when the next crop of VGA screens come out, for example...

--janak

Stephen Beesley
07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
I believe an SDIO or CF BT card should run fine in the e750.

Yes that is true, but I really wanted to avoid having a card "sticking out" of the device. On the other hand, I have been wondering weather I would really use BT as much as all that. I was originally thinking of partnering it with my phone, but given the cost of GPRS data here in Ireland I don't think that is going to be a goer. I really like the idea of a BT keyboard, but using a BT card might not be such a big inconvience if that is my main use for BT.

It depends on the size you want. ;) I'd expect the e805 to slowly drop in price when the next crop of VGA screens come out, for example...--janak

When all is said and done, I think this is probably what I will end up doing: delay any decision for another month or two and see how the prices of the e800 series hold up.

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes that is true, but I really wanted to avoid having a card "sticking out" of the device.
Well, there are CF BT cards that don't, although all SDIO BT cards do -- but not nearly as much as SDIO WiFi cards.

When all is said and done, I think this is probably what I will end up doing: delay any decision for another month or two and see how the prices of the e800 series hold up.
Note that the e800 doesn't have both BT and WiFi either. ;)

--janak

Stephen Beesley
07-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Note that the e800 doesn't have both BT and WiFi either. ;)

--janak

Rain on my parade why don't you.... :D

I didn't realise there were CF BT cards that did not protrude - that sounds like it might be a good solution.

I am still very much up in the air about whether I am going to change my Jornada just yet or wait and see - although I guess I have been in "wait and see" mode for about the last year now!

There is also the possibility of getting my hands on a fairly cheap HP 5450 that might become surplus from work (currently in need of a new battery but otherwise working it seems). If so that might tide my gadget lust over until something comes out that really inspires me.

Still if I do decide to go the ebay route I think the Toshiba would be my preference over an Ipaq 5450 which would actually be more expensive on ebay.

Decisions decisions. Thanks for the comments/advice anyway.

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I didn't realise there were CF BT cards that did not protrude - that sounds like it might be a good solution.
http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4508-309.asp

Decisions decisions. Thanks for the comments/advice anyway.
Good luck! :)

--janak