View Full Version : [b]FURIOUS [/b]about Samsung A670

echernosky
06-30-2004, 02:58 AM
:evil: One of the phone to Pocket PC cable manufacturers has told me that it is impossible to connect my new Samsung A670 phone to my ipaq 2200, because Samsung has removed that ability from their phones. :evil:

Is this true? Is there a workaround? Please, no jokes about buying another phone.

Janak Parekh
06-30-2004, 06:02 AM
This is a Sprint phone, right?

The problem is that most Sprint phones are USB-based, and the iPAQs don't have USB host, which is necessary to connect to a USB phone. There are USB CF host cards available on the market (here's one (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8625), and here's another (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21945)), but I haven't heard of anyone who's successfully managed to use that to surf with their iPAQ -- because drivers aren't readily available. :(

--janak

echernosky
06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
It's a CDMA phone. I have Verizon Wireless service.

Janak Parekh
06-30-2004, 05:21 PM
It's a CDMA phone. I have Verizon Wireless service.
Ah - didn't realize Verizon was selling that phone. In any case, the same principle applies -- if it's USB-only, you're going to have trouble unless you can find drivers. :(

--janak

echernosky
06-30-2004, 06:06 PM
:evil: Aaaaaaarrggh! Samsung, I HATE you.

echernosky
07-02-2004, 04:02 AM
I am so confused. If the connection isn't possible... why is this product here?

http://www.thesupplynet.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=7026

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 04:07 AM
I am so confused. If the connection isn't possible... why is this product here?
Well, I said if it's USB-only. I don't know if it's capable of serial communications. It seems to be a new phone, so there isn't a whole lot of documentation on it. Have you tried contacting the SupplyNet folks?

--janak

echernosky
07-02-2004, 04:15 AM
Wow Janak, the ink wasn't even dry on my previous post - thanks for the quick responses.

I fired off an e-mail to SupplyNet asking them if this would REALLY work. If it does, I love them... and you and EVERYONE ELSE! :wink:

Seriously, thanks for your help... sorry I misread your earlier post.

Ed

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Seriously, thanks for your help... sorry I misread your earlier post.
Actually, sorry I wasn't being clear earlier! I hope you can get it to work!

--janak

ignar
07-02-2004, 05:58 AM
:evil: Aaaaaaarrggh! Samsung, I HATE you.

Why do you think it is a Samsung's fault? :roll:

echernosky
07-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Hmm... not a tough one. Because they might have removed a feature in a new product (ala Microsoft). One that is expected to be there.

When you buy a new car, how do you know it goes in reverse? You might test this feature on a drive, you might not. But you expect that the car goes in reverse.

I know that I could have done more research... and made sure that it would work with a cable, but I also didn't check the number 4 on the keypad either.

The previous 2 cell phones (including the ancient StarTac) I've had included the ability to connect to a Pocket PC. It's a feature that I expect to be there.

Janak Parekh
07-02-2004, 03:54 PM
ignar, while that functionality is not guaranteed, Samsung in particular has a habit of "closing" all of their specifications. Just ask i700 users who've been struggling to get GPS solutions to work on their Pocket PC. :(

That said, echernosky, you'll find that cell phones are rapidly partitioning into two sets: those that can be externally connected and those that are completely consumerized and non-connectable.

--janak

echernosky
07-02-2004, 04:12 PM
That said, echernosky, you'll find that cell phones are rapidly partitioning into two sets: those that can be externally connected and those that are completely consumerized and non-connectable.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to not become one of "them". :wink:

The wonderful folks at SupplyNet assure me that their cable does work, because it is USB and not serial. Thanks SupplyNet.

I'll let you off the hook Samsung... this time.