View Full Version : Nokia to Produce 'Pure' PDA?

Jonathon Watkins
06-30-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16869' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16869</a><br /><br /></div>Rumour time again. How about this one dug up by the Inquirer:<br /><br /><i>"Nokia is developing a number of portable computers which will run the Symbian OS and utilise the company's own Series 60 software. The source at Nokia also suggested that one solution being considered is a ruggedised sub-notebook. Sounds familiar? Well, that's exactly what Psion Teklogix makes. So there may have been some truth in the rumour that Nokia wanted to buy Psion last year. It probably went pear-shaped when Nokia found out that Psion's latest PDA was going to use Windows not Symbian. Anyway, The INQ does think that Nokia has spotted a gap in the market. There's no decent PDA with a good keyboard - like our trusty old Revo - available in Europe. While in Japan, sub-notebooks are extremely popular."</i><br /><br />Ah yes, the Revo. A very fine PDA indeed and one I still enjoy using occasionally. I think the Inq has hit the nail on the head about the lack of decent PPC with a keyboard. Such a shame we have not seen the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6317&start=0">'Top_Secret' iPAQ prototype?</a> come to fruition. Now a Pocket PC that could do landscape and portrait with a touch-typable keyboard. Wouldn't THAT be something? 8O

zzzmarcus
06-30-2004, 01:47 AM
I for one would be the first to ditch my Pocket PC and go back to something that had the excellent form factor of the Revo if they came out with something in that shape with wifi and the other features I've enjoyed on my iPaq. The Revo was hands down the best PDA I've ever owned, and that includes the operating system.

Jonathon Watkins
06-30-2004, 01:57 AM
The Revo was hands down the best PDA I've ever owned, and that includes the operating system.

In terms of hardware I would be hard pressed to disagree. In terms of OS however, I much prefer PPC, warts & all. I remember the syncing problems I had with my Revo and the problems of Outlook data being truncated and corrupted etc. :| The range of programs for the PPC is far greater and the ease of use is far higher. Of course the Revo's built in word processor was pretty good in that it didn't used to mangle your documents and the built in alarms were something else, just excellent with multiple options, sounds & they were reliable. :wink:

Still, that's the past and just now I would really like a decent landscape PPC with a decent keyboard. None of your HPC 640x240, but full VGA at 640x480. Maybe with all these form factor changes etc. this could be possible....... :mrgreen:

Thinkingmandavid
06-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Jonathon Watkins wrote
I remember the syncing problems I had with my Revo and the problems of Outlook data being truncated and corrupted etc

I never had this problem with my Revo. I love it! Easy to use and it worked great with Word/Exel. I would like to see some really powerful modifications if Nokia does in fact do something similar to this.
If made right it could work well for me!:)

whydidnt
06-30-2004, 03:55 AM
For the non-Revo familiar among us. What makes it better than the HPC devices? It sounds an awful lot like an HPC, which is already running something similar to PPC and many have very usuable keyboards.

It would be interesting if Nokia decided to do something, if for no other reason that it might make it to the US, unlike most the little asian toys.

Janak Parekh
06-30-2004, 06:10 AM
It would be interesting if Nokia decided to do something, if for no other reason that it might make it to the US, unlike most the little asian toys.
There's no guarantee of that -- historically, Nokia has released many devices in Europe that have never made it into the US. :( Of course, given Nokia's lessening market share, they can ill-afford to pursue that strategy much longer.

--janak

Turner
06-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Still, that's the past and just now I would really like a decent landscape PPC with a decent keyboard. None of your HPC 640x240, but full VGA at 640x480. Maybe with all these form factor changes etc. this could be possible....... :mrgreen:

There ist the Samsung Nexio S160 available at

http://www.dynamism.com/nexio/index.shtml

so long
Turner

Snail
06-30-2004, 09:45 AM
MMMMmmmmm...

My UX50 running CE5.0... I'd return to the PPC camp in a heartbeat! :wink:

whydidnt
06-30-2004, 02:17 PM
MMMMmmmmm...

My UX50 running CE5.0... I'd return to the PPC camp in a heartbeat! :wink:

AMEN!! :mrgreen: That's why the MPx is so intriguing to me. It just might fit the bill, phone or not.

snowlion
microsoft should just buy this product and make it available
for free for ex-palm users.

TheZodiac
Id much rather see a connected PDa based on Series 90 rather than 60.... AND use Symbian 8 as well.

The unconnected PDa is a dead animal. In some way shape or form there needs to be that capability.

you have phones with some PIM functions.......
some PDAs, with phone capabilities....

Connectivity is the key if Nokia wants to pull this off without being laughed out of the market........ all together. Take a look at why sony left the US with the Clie line..... competition, demand and.. um Cost? :)

Jonathon Watkins
06-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Id much rather see a connected PDa based on Series 90 rather than 60.... AND use Symbian 8 as well.

Depends what you mean by connected. A 'Pure' PDA (OK, daft name) can still have BT, wifi and wireless usb etc. If you put in phone functionality, what's technology is it going to use? GSM, UTMS, DoMeCo or other Japaneses standards, 3G etc? Having BT means that your PDA can connect to your phone, which is suitable for your area of the world and will probably be changed a lot more frequently than you PDA.

foldedspace
07-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Hmmm...maybe a 'pure' PDA with the phone built in? I like Series 60.

Janak Parekh
07-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Hmmm...maybe a 'pure' PDA with the phone built in? I like Series 60.
I'm not sure how that would work, since, AFAIK, Series 60 doesn't support a touchscreen unlike Series 90.

--janak

neomotion
07-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Then they must be talking about the upcoming 9500. Pda style, with keyboard, symbian software, but i don't believe it has an touchscreen. Too bad they killed the 7700. When i played around with it, i truly wanted to keep it. The formfactor was a bit weird though. But nevertheless, it was a sexy machine.

That samsung thingie is also way sexy. Running Windows Mobile 2003 wih vga screen? Sweet.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Then they must be talking about the upcoming 9500. Pda style, with keyboard, symbian software, but i don't believe it has an touchscreen.
Yeah - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a touchscreen, either. Nokia has historically shied away from touchscreens.

--janak

Dolphin
09-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Wow! I had no idea that these devices existed! Very interesting form factor!

This is a great forum!