View Full Version : Mail sync solution?

pandabearsue
06-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Can anyone offer a solution to my situation?

I do not have internet access at home so syncing to my Outlook on my home computer is useless. However, I want to sync all my Contacts and Appointments to my home computer.

I also have a partnership with my work computer to download my Yahoo mail with OneMail, but I don't want to sync all the personal information on my PPC with my work computer. However, I want to be able to write e-mails on my PPC and send them through the PC/internet at work.

Is there a way for me to maintain my partnership with my home computer (syncing my Contacts/Appointments only with my home PC) and transfering an out-going message to my work computer?

THANX

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2004, 07:16 PM
I do not have internet access at home so syncing to my Outlook on my home computer is useless.

Why? Outlook is a perfectly good contacts/calendar/tasks/notes/journal app even if you don't use the mail function.

At home you could use Outlook and sync the PIM info. At work, just un-check the PIM stuff for your partnership and it won't sync there. I have my wife's machine partnered with my desktop with absolutely nothing syncing, just so I can copy files and programs to it, without mixing her stuff with mine.

You could also use Chris De Herrera's little app found at http://www.cewindows.net/applications/undocumentedactivesync.htm to set your work connection to be an automatic guest connection so that you could do your mail thing without actually even really having a partnership.

Janak Parekh
06-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Sven - I believe when she says "Outlook", she was specifically referring to Outlook email sync.

pandabearsue - if I understand correctly, you want to sync only email at work, and only PIM information (contacts, etc.) at home. If that's the case, ActiveSync will do it just fine - it allows two partnerships. When you create each partnership, you have options as to what you want to sync - just check the appropriate ones for each place, and you should be set.

--janak

pandabearsue
06-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Thank you, Janek. Yes, Sven, I was a bit unclear.

I think the confusion I'm having is that right now I have two partnerships set up where at home I have Contacts/Appointments/Folders checked off to be synced and at work I only have OneMail checked off to be synced. Currently neither have the Inbox checked to be synced.

So I thought- we'll I'll just check off Inbox to sync at work and not at home. Except, when I do that- select Inbox syncing at work, it gives me a message:
"Mail cannot be selected for synchronization b/c this mobile device has a partnership with more than one desktop computer. To synchronize e-mail msgs, disconnect the device, delete a partnership in MS A/S, reconnect the device. etc."
I never got this message at home. And I made a point last night to turn off the Inbox syncing at home.

doughboy
07-02-2004, 06:58 PM
pandabearsue:

I have the exact same problem. I have never even synced my email on home computer. I did delete my partnership at work and restablish it, thinking that would solve the problem. No such luck. Could it have something to do with one of partnerships being primary.

Does anyone know how one would determine whether a parnership is primary?

If you determine a solution let me know.

Sven Johannsen
07-02-2004, 07:10 PM
AH, I didn't think that issue was with Inbox, though I knew about it with Money. There may be some situation where e-mail will only sync with the first partnership you create. The way to get around this is to delete the partnership off both PCs. Re-partner first with the machine that you want to sync Inbox with. You will get a prompt asking if you want to sync with more than one desktop , or just one. Say just one and this will delete both old partnerships from the PPC. Leaving just this one as the first one. Then when you get to the second PC, say more than one to the same question. It will be set as the second partnership.

Hopefully that works. I would recommend getting everything activeSync'd right before ths process and letting the PC info overwrite the PPC info. As long as the PC stuff is up to date everything should sync back and you can avoid annoying duplicates.

As I said, I don't recall having a problem switching mail sync from one partnership to another, though it can be dicey depending on the state of the two PC Inbox clients. I know Money only likes the first partnership. Not sure how this all works with OneMail. I am pretty sure of the above, dealing just with Inbox. Possibly that third party thing is affecting the normal process.

doughboy
07-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Sven,

In your post you say "AH, I didn't think that issue was with Inbox, though I knew about it with Money." Are you implying that if computer 1 is set up as primary so the Inbox can sync, that computer 2 set up as secondary may have trouble sycning Money? I have Pocket Quicken and would hate to solve one problem and possibly create another problem at the same time.