View Full Version : Windows Media Center and PPC

OneAngryDwarf
06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Should be getting a new Windows Media Center Edition Desktop this week and was wondering if there are any free or purchaseable programs that will allow my computer to convert/save copies of recorded television programs in a format to play on my ppc. Thinks would be so much easier if it weren't for the damn MS proprietary format (seriously couldn't they even use their standard proprietary format - WM9?)

jeffmd
06-29-2004, 12:36 AM
afaik the windows media center would compress to mpeg2 using one of the plethora of realtime craptastic mpeg2 encoders out there. So escentialy your going to be dealing with an mpeg2 stream, so compressing it to something pocket pc friendly will just use the same programs used to convert dvd's to pocket pc. Unfortunatly experience wise I havn't looked at the tools available in over a year (usually any mp2 streams I work with are only a couple minutes, so I use tmpg to convert it to an avi with HuffyUV, a lossless compression, then use vdub to goto divx) but I know more then once, pocket pc thoughts front page has been graced with the presscence of dvd to pocket pc converters.

OneAngryDwarf
06-29-2004, 08:18 PM
But Windows MCE doesn't use MPEG-2, it uses the proprietary format called DVR-MS

ale_ers
07-15-2004, 05:02 PM
But Windows MCE doesn't use MPEG-2, it uses the proprietary format called DVR-MS

True, but mine came with Showbiz, a program that converts DVR-MS to MPEG-2.

I have used this a few times to burn a DVD of a show, but I have not yet tried to watch it on my PPC. Mainly because it is such a large file, I would have to use Windows Media Encoder to reduce the size...should work though.