View Full Version : PDAs Still Get Strange Looks in Church

Lex
06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
It's 2004. I have the Bible on my iPAQ and read along in church with it. I can find obscure passages faster than paper-page-turners every time using OliveTree's reader.

But even when I -reach- for the PPC when a passage is about to be read, I still get strange looks. I've come to a few conclusions based on jokes and questions from people.

1) If you make more than one screen tap with the stylus, people think you're planning your week or playing a game.
2) Heck, if you even remove your stylus you're probably playing a game. It arouses less suspicion if you use your fingers.
3) Heaven help you if your alarm sounds during church. You'll be unable to convince anyone you weren't playing a game. They'll probably think you scored bonus points and that's what set off the sound.

No one looks askance at someone leafing through a paper Bible, hymnal or even a paper DayTimer during a sermon, but reach for a PDA and "You aren't concentrating!"

How can we break this prejudice better than to keep using our PDAs in church?

Can I get an Amen?
:wink:

GoldKey
06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Get the preacher to use one.

rzanology
06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Pull out a tablet pc...then perhaps they'll embrass the ppc with open arms. As for the preacher....im sure the collection money is good enough to get him his own ppc....as it were he seems to be enjoying himself in that 5 series bmw :roll:

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:01 PM
You would think that people would realize that if a grown man/women didn't want to go to church..... they wouldn't (>_<) Honestly, does it really matter if people think that though? If someone is going to pass ignorant judgment upon you, I would have to say that they are the ones that should be hitting the confession booth :) Maybe try talking to them?

that_kid
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Get more people to use them in church. In my church most of the audio/video ministry have pocket pc's(most are my old one's) and it's great to see everyone pull out their ppc's when a scripture is read.

I remember visiting a co-workers church and when it came time to read from the bible I pulled my ppc out and my friend says to me "Don't tell me you have the bible on that?", I smiled and said sure do :D

Chingyul
06-28-2004, 08:47 PM
I get the occasional look, but most of my friends are now use to it, and I am the resident gadget guy of the group. Also, I'm younger (19) so doesn't seem so out of place with me (maybe??).

Anyone else take notes with theirs? It's a bit slower, but works decently. I'm just using Pocket Word and transcriber. THe problem is when it incorrectly recognized words and I have to correct it, and then I fall behind. Consider how horrible my handwriting is, it seems to work pretty good.
Any tips for that?

I will admit, I have played a game or two during a service, :devilboy: but I'm good for the most part. It is quite the efficient tool though.
I'm using Laridian's Pocket Bible and at times it is a bit slow getting to passages. Using it on an older 3835 though.

rzanology
06-28-2004, 08:55 PM
sounds like you need a bit of over clocking in your life. try it....it'll speed things up for you. Service should be 2 hours max....so ya dont have to worry about battery.

Lex
06-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Get the preacher to use one.

He does ! All of our church staff use PDA's. 5 Palms to 1 PPC.

rzanology
06-28-2004, 09:01 PM
then my friend....its a look of glee and awe! They can't belive multi tasking can be done on a pda :wink:

that_kid
06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
then my friend....its a look of glee and awe! They can't belive multi tasking can be done on a pda :wink:

Yep I agree :D

Fishie
06-28-2004, 10:56 PM
When I take my PDA´s to the Mosque they ask me if it plays music, movies, if I can get the internet on that etcetera.

buckyg
06-28-2004, 11:15 PM
I've never seen any strange looks. However, I did get a comment about someone else bringing their PPC to church. This guy used to be my boss, is a good friend, referring to another friend & former colleague. The strange thing is, we're all in IT. He said, "Can you believe he brings that to church and says he uses it to read the Bible?" Pulling out my iPAQ and firing up Laridian, I said, "Yes".

Nope, no strange looks. Several years back, a guy did get some strange looks for bringing in his laptop. Okay, one of the looks was from me. I could see that he was not using it to read the Bible. It was something work related and he was utterly focused on it. He may have gotten away with it funny/dirty-look free, except for one thing: He was sitting 2 rows from the back and had it plugged into an outlet at the back using one of those bright neon-orange 100-ft. outside extension cords, 75-ft. of which was coiled up under the outlet.