View Full Version : Wanna Mess with GPS

DiGiTYZED
06-28-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm going to be traveling alot in the coming months, so I wanna get into the whole GPS thang with my Toshiba e805. I have absolutely no knowlegde of what I'll need.

Where do I begin? Anything affordable, yet powerful?

TIA

epdm
06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
You need to have a GPS mouse. Either compact flash, bluetooth (if you have the bluetooth version) or serial model.

The serial model needs a special dedicated cable for each model/brand/type of PPC. So you need to check this carefully. These are usually the cheapest solutions.

Compact flash. Makes a virtual serial port (port 9 I think) and is the most hassle free. CF-models are more expensive. You loose the CF slot when using this though.

Bluetooth. This gives the best wow-factor :-). Is quite expensive and in certain conditions the most troublesome. Especially if you have a bluetooth enabled phone and a bluetooth carkit. In these conditions the PPC sometimes looses the GPS-services (though not the actual connection).

The advantage of the 2 latter options is that you can use these also outside the car. In wich case the bluetooth usually lasts longer since the GPS-mouse usually has an internal battery. The CF GPS drains quite a lot.

Another thing to look for is the required GPS-chipset. Technically the most common SIRF-chipset recieves less than the newest XTRac-chipsets. The latter are found cary the most expensive pricetag. Some vendors carry the popular Evermore chipsets too. These are priced between the SIRF IIe and XTRac GPS mice. I think they're inbetween in reception quality as well.

Hope this sums things up.

DiGiTYZED
06-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Yup, that most certainly does. I think I'll go with bluetooth.

I have my Ambicom Bluetooth CF card in my PDA. So all I need is a Bluetooth GPS Receiver, correct?

Recommend any brands?

TIA

rzanology
06-29-2004, 06:33 PM
have a look see my friend.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6460_7-5135545.html

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2004, 07:05 PM
I have my Ambicom Bluetooth CF card in my PDA. So all I need is a Bluetooth GPS Receiver, correct?

And software. While some (many?) GPS recievers come bundled with software, that is not a given, or neccesarily the best option. All of the reciever options, serial cable, CF, BT and I think one or two SD models only provide data to the PPC. The software is what takes that data and map data and correlates them, telling you where you are, how fast you are going, and/or how to get where you want to be.

There are very cheap options, such as Pocket Streets which comes with Streets and trips, but only tells you where you are, to much more expensive options that do everything but drive the car. There's a slew in between.

Take a look a www.gpspassion.com for both hardware and software overviews, recomendations, and user views.

rzanology
06-29-2004, 07:10 PM
or you can try to find a friend who has a copy of the software. I know here in the office a few of the guys have bluetooth receivers. Even though they all came with their own software, the guys seem to stick with one version. I'm not sure which one it is they're using, but in guessing its good. I'll find out for ya.

DiGiTYZED
06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanx rzanology! If you can find that out that would be great.

Sven, thanx for the info and link. Does TomTom or Mapolis give me all three features (where I am, my speed & how to get somewhere)???

GoldKey
06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Sven, thanx for the info and link. Does TomTom or Mapolis give me all three features (where I am, my speed & how to get somewhere)???

Yes, and quite nicely I might add.

DiGiTYZED
06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Which? both?

I'm assuming TomTom is the better of the two.

DiGiTYZED
06-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Would TomTom or Mapopolis work with any BT GPS Receiver?

Perk
06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
I've tried a few gps packages over the years and have been happiest with Pocket CoPilot. I started with them about two years ago and although it's not perfect, it's got the best programs, routing and responsiveness.

I recently got an email from them that they'll be introducing version 5 which is mostly window dressing but still even cooler.

Their program uses text to speach to produce detailed verbal directions. No others do this and it does make a difference when you're driving in new high volume areas. It also does a hiking mode and you can load the whole US highway system in it. It once got me from Florida to Colorado without having to change files.

http://www.alk.com/products/consumer/index.asp

Mike

GoldKey
06-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Which? both?

I'm assuming TomTom is the better of the two.

Sorry, meant Tom Tom. That is all I have used, but have been quite happy with it.

Sven Johannsen
07-01-2004, 03:05 AM
And Mapopolis as well. Better is a relative term. Many say that TomTom is better, but 50% better? Hard to say, especially since I only have and like Mapopolis. I did have TomTom some time ago, when they first released a product that supported the US, and it was dismal compared to Mapopolis at the time. TomTom was getting rave reviews out of it's native Europe. At that time Mapopolis didn't support Europe.

If you take opinions I would recommend taking them from folks that have both and really have compared them.

DiGiTYZED
07-01-2004, 04:30 PM
So I can use any software (CoPilot, Tom Tom, Mapopolis, etc) with any Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

Kaber
07-02-2004, 09:48 AM
So I can use any software (CoPilot, Tom Tom, Mapopolis, etc) with any Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

Well you are really asking two questions. First, will my PDA work with any bluetooth GPS reciever? Second, will any map navigation software work with this PDA/GPS combo?

Answer 1: Make sure your bluetooth h/w is compatible with the GPS receiver. This can vary between GPS reciever models, Pocket PC models, and varying bluetooth implementations (PDA internal or CF card).

Answer 2: Most nav software will accept NMEA out. Make sure your GPS reciever supports NMEA output. It should as most (if not all) do.

So your main concern should be with how compatible the bluetooth is. Almost all navigation software should work if you can make a connection to the GPS.

DiGiTYZED
07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Well my I haven't had success activesyncing via bluetooth with my Ambicom Bluetooth CF card (and belkin bt usb adapter) which is using the serial profile.

would i also have problems with my bt cf card and a bt gps receiver?

Sven Johannsen
07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Well my I haven't had success activesyncing via bluetooth with my Ambicom Bluetooth CF card (and belkin bt usb adapter) which is using the serial profile.

would i also have problems with my bt cf card and a bt gps receiver?

Maybe with that particular equipment. I had a heck of a time getting any results out of an Ambicom CF and USB setup to work. I had wanted to try BT and they were on sale at CompUSA. Changed to a Socket CF and Billionton BT and everything worked like a champ. Still using the Billionton with a 4155, a 2215 and an X30, no problem. Even my T610 has no isues with the Billionton BT on my desktop. Having good luck with a Linksys BT on another desktop too.

Since you have a Belkin USB adapter, maybe you should try a different CF card.

DiGiTYZED
07-12-2004, 08:35 PM
From your story it seems the Belkin USB adapter is the problem, yet you say replace the CF card. I don't understand.

Also, what form (USB, PCI, etc.) is your Billionton on the desktop?