View Full Version : need advise with pocket internet browser

mr blondie
06-28-2004, 03:35 PM
hi all .i'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before .
i am thinking of buying a hp 4150 .as it has wifi .but i have never used one before .what i want to know is .is the web browser a full browser ,, as in not wap . as i have wap on my phone and is very poor in content ect . is a pocket pc usefull for looking at all kinds of web pages say like Ebay ..and so on . even this forum ..
i have been to may shops to look for a 4150 but they have no set up for the web so i never know if it will be any good to me ..
i use a laptop at the moment but it's still a bit large to carry around ..when you just want to check your ebay bids ect ..
many thanks in advance for all your help..

OSUKid7
06-28-2004, 03:52 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=258717

need I say more? :roll:

Pocket PCs use Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE). It is a full browser, in that you can visit any site on the web. However, because of the different screen size and resolution, many sites don't display properly in PIE. Just like every browser, PIE sends the name/version of the browser to every site you visit. Some web designers have created custom "PDA" sites that can take that browser name/version and give you a nice and custom site. Other sites use that information to display a "Please upgrade your browser" notice, and you can't access that site at all. However, most sites just display the regular page formatted for PCs. Therefore, you might view it fine, you might have to scroll the page, or the page may not display properly.

I'm not sure about ebay. My gut tells me they just display the page as usual, and you'd have to do a lot of scrolling. Maybe someone else can check that for you.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Yes, you do - cut him some slack, he just joined the site. Rolling your eyes doesn't help to explain crossposting. :? mr blondie, we ask that you don't crosspost the same question to multiple forums. I've locked the other thread. Thanks!

Oh, and here's my response from the other thread...

Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE), which comes with the device, does handle full HTML -- it's not WAP. That said, PIE is not the most feature-filled browser; a few websites won't work well on it. There are third-party browsers, like NetFront or Thunderhawk, that you can purchase if PIE isn't enough.
--janak

OSUKid7
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes, you do - cut him some slack, he just joined the site. Rolling your eyes doesn't help to explain crossposting. :? mr blondie, we ask that you don't crosspost the same question to multiple forums. I've locked the other thread. Thanks!
:( sorry! lol...just pointing out the other thread was there as well. Guess I'll just post and not say anything in the future, as people have yelled at me for both saying "don't crosspost" and now just pointing out the other thread.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
:( sorry! lol...just pointing out the other thread was there as well.
Imagine you've just joined a webboard, though. What does it mean to be linked to the other thread and a eye-roll? If you're going to say "don't crosspost", say it nicely. :) Or you can leave it to the mods as well...

Anyway, back on topic.

--janak

Pony99CA
06-28-2004, 05:11 PM
However, most sites just display the regular page formatted for PCs. Therefore, you might view it fine, you might have to scroll the page, or the page may not display properly.
Windows Mobile 2003 SE makes one big change to Pocket IE -- the ability to force single-column display, which should help eliminate a lot of horizontal scrolling.

The downside is that, with the traditional three-column layout where the center column is the real content, you may have to scroll vertically a ways to get to the content.

Steve

P.S. When I see a cross-post that I can answer, I answer the question and add a P.S. discouraging cross-posting, but it's not the first thing I say. I also include a link to Pony's Posting Proverbs (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11413), a post I wrote last year for newbies to give some hints on board etiquette.

I do warn about the cross-post in case one of the mods searches for "cross-post". If they do, they'll spot it more easily and lock the thread faster.

Brad Adrian
06-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Even though Pocket Internet Explorer isn't the best way to surf the Web, there are still a lot of sites out there that are formatted for use with PDAs. Some of my favorites are:

http://www.google.com/palm
http://www.evmo.com/Kevmo.aspx
http://pocketpcmag.com/mobile.htm (This one is a listing of Pocket PC-formatted sites)
http://mobile.handango.com/ppc/

Anybody else want to contribute some of their favorite mobile-formatted sites?

mr blondie
06-28-2004, 05:42 PM
by crosspost i think you mean that i put this question up in 2 places ,
well i was not sure what goes where . i dont see why this would be a problem .but what do i know
i will try not to post on this forum anymore..
still amongst all the angry people i did get an answer to my question .many thanks for that ....if i have a question about an ipaq pc ,.where should i put the question .just so i dont get anymore flak.. :oops:

Pony99CA
06-28-2004, 05:55 PM
by crosspost i think you mean that i put this question up in 2 places ,
well i was not sure what goes where . i dont see why this would be a problem .but what do i know
There are at least two reasons it is discouraged. First, it uses twice as much disk space. Jason presumably pays for that, so it's nice to avoid wasting it.

Second, different people may see the different versions of the post and end up answering a question that was already answered in another version. Not only does it waste more disk space, but it wasted their time answering a question that no longer needed one.

i will try not to post on this forum anymore..
still amongst all the angry people i did get an answer to my question .many thanks for that ....
I don't think anybody was angry. Maybe annoyed a little, but I doubt anybody thinks you shouldn't post at all. The question wasn't unreasonable or anything.

Stick around for a while. I think you'll find that most of us are pretty nice (at least most of the time :twisted:).

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 06:26 PM
still amongst all the angry people i did get an answer to my question
I don't think anyone was angry at you, and if they were, I apologize for that.

if i have a question about an ipaq pc ,.where should i put the question .just so i dont get anymore flak.. :oops:
Make a guess, and if the mods think it fits better in another forum, we'll move it. Most people actually read more than one forum, so if someone has an answer, it should get answered within a day or so. :)

--janak

OSUKid7
06-28-2004, 06:36 PM
still amongst all the angry people i did get an answer to my question
I don't think anyone was angry at you, and if they were, I apologize for that.
Sorry! not angry at all...just pointing out your other post so we don't get two conversations going. Stick around. This is one of the friendliest online communities I've ever seen. :grouphug: