View Full Version : XP OEM version - move hard drive to a new system OK?

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 01:47 AM
I am trying to gradually upgrade my system. Right now, I'm running Windows 98SE and have a small hard drive. I really don't have enough to purchase or assemble a full system right now, so thought I would do it in stages. I need a larger hard drive anyway and so thought about getting a new drive and installing an OEM version of XP on it.

Sooo.... with some of the things I've been reading about an OEM version, if I later get a new mobo & processor, or just move the drive to a new barebones kit, will that work or will XP complain and I'll be unable to get a new license. I've heard there could be problems with the OEM versions so wanted to get the scoop from those in the know. Thanks in advance!

milkman dan
06-25-2004, 02:30 AM
for the most part you are fine. You can usually get away with installing home OEM's on 3-4 different computers before you get red flagged. If you install XP and change your board and CPU, you will get boot into a blue screen 9/10 times though. To remedy this, boot off the XP cd, run setup, and chose to RECOVER your windows instalation. It will get you up and running again and doesn't screw up your installed users or programs

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 02:36 AM
installing home OEM's on 3-4 different computers before you get red flagged.

Because I thought I might try to log into my work machine, I was planning on installing XP Pro. Would this be more of a problem ?

Kati Compton
06-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Keep in mind that some OEM licenses (I don't know for sure if this applies to XP or not, but probably) are ONLY valid for the computer they came with. So if you have a completely separate computer, you're not supposed to install it. I'm not sure what happens if you gradually replace each piece and when one computer "becomes" a different one. I mean, they can't expect you to never upgrade *anything*.

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 02:57 AM
I should clarify that I was planning to buy a Windows XP OEM version...it's not already installed on my system. I would buy a new HD, install the new XP on it, then at some point in the future, move both to a new barebones kit.

milkman dan
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
As I said before, you can use 1 liscense on 3-4 systems before activation redflags you. When that happens, all you do is call microsoft, and tell them that your NEW windows xp computer will not activate, and they will give you a fresh key. Ive done this about 20 times sofar :D I have to honestly say that I haven;t ever paid for an OS in my life, my laptop came with an XP key, so I feel that is more than enough for me to justify running xp on my other machines :D Not that I would condone software piracy or anything, but it is really damn easy to download an iso of xp pro corp and generate a key...

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 01:20 PM
As I said before...

Since you used the words home OEM in the first reply, I wasn't sure if you were just talking generically about using XP at home or XP Home as I wondered if there may be differences between XP Home & HP Pro in the licensing issues. Thanks.

milkman dan
06-25-2004, 01:43 PM
I haven't ever installed an XP pro RETAIL, just the OEM's, but sofar EVERY xp aside from corperate you can generally get 3-4 cpu's off of it. And, as I said, if it gives you trouble call microsoft and they will give you a new one :) Some times they try to be stingy, if thats the case just call back and you will get a different rep

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks!

Kacey Green
06-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind that some OEM licenses (I don't know for sure if this applies to XP or not, but probably)yes it applies to xp are ONLY valid for the computer they came with. correct So if you have a completely separate computer, you're not supposed to install it.right again I'm not sure what happens if you gradually replace each piece and when one computer "becomes" a different one.nothing, if it doesn't stop you first I mean, they can't expect you to never upgrade *anything* a new motherboard to them unless it is the same model and a replacement for the original being broken, qualifies as a new PC other than that there is a certian limit of components you can change at once, before you have to reactivate (I don't think I'm supposed to give the formula so I won't).

As an OEM myself I have to step in and confirm what Kati is saying, see my in-line replies.

Paul Martin
06-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Kacey,

Thanks for the replies. So, here's my dilemma. I am currently running Win98SE. I need a larger hard drive. If I install Win98 on the new drive, will I have to wipe it clean if I later want a clean install of XP? I was just trying to find a way to avoid a mess later. It sounds like a mess either way...can't move XP perhaps or have to copy and remove all data, reformat and install NTFS with XP. Argh!!!!

milkman dan
06-25-2004, 10:32 PM
? Not quite sure what you are asking, but I will take a random stab. There is an OEM and a RETAIL version of both xp PRO and HOME which absolutly no difference between them aside from price. PRO is about twice the price of HOME, but adds alot of handy features that you probably wouldn't know about unless you read up on them or knew what you were looking for (xp home doesn't have a group policy editor, things like that:?)

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
PRO is about twice the price of HOME, but adds alot of handy features that you probably wouldn't know about unless you read up on them
A little more than that. ;) XP Pro has Remote Desktop support, the ability to join domains, NetBEUI, advanced file sharing (e.g., permissions on shares/files), user management via Computer Management and a bunch of other networking and remote administration tools.

--janak

Kacey Green
06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
This isn't a site dedicate to those sorts of things so I'll get this out of the way quick and with a disclaimer.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
if activation doesn't stop you your issues are with MS and their lawyers

IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU DO THIS
More appropriate is to find an XP update disk that way you stay legal, because from the OEM training they give us using an OEM disk on old hardware would be a violation of the license. BUT you can buy new hardware (Motherboard, CPU and a hard drive) and use that to refurbish your old PC which would make it by MS's definition a NEW PC and then you can put a legal copy of XP PRO OEM on it.

Paul Martin
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Kacey. After some thought, I think the OEM route is not worth the potential hassle, unless I'm going to build a new machine. I'll just wait and stick with Win98SE for now. Perhaps I can catch a good deal on either a full copy of XP Pro or the upgrade version later on. Thanks.

Kacey Green
06-28-2004, 07:15 PM
I just re-read the original question

I would get XP after you get the motherboard and processor (network card if applicable) and then continue upgrading in whatever order is most comfortable for you, you are allowed to reinstall to a different hard drive in the same computer, but you will need to call MS to buy a new license if you move from one motherboard to the next (you could try calling them first but the answer will probably be no, doesn't hurt to ask [don't forget to get the operator's name should you run into problems])

Kacey Green
06-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Kacey. After some thought, I think the OEM route is not worth the potential hassle, unless I'm going to build a new machine. I'll just wait and stick with Win98SE for now. Perhaps I can catch a good deal on either a full copy of XP Pro or the upgrade version later on. Thanks.
no problem :D

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:38 PM
milkman dan wrote:
PRO is about twice the price of HOME, but adds alot of handy features that you probably wouldn't know about unless you read up on them

A little more than that. XP Pro has Remote Desktop support, the ability to join domains, NetBEUI, advanced file sharing (e.g., permissions on shares/files), user management via Computer Management and a bunch of other networking and remote administration tools.

XP's remote desktop is nice, I do give you that, but for the kind of person that would be asking this question, things like netBEUI would be considered "handy features that you probably wouldnt know about uless you read up on them" :)

Paul Martin
06-28-2004, 09:03 PM
It's my understanding that NETBEUI is no longer officially supported in the XP line, you can install it off of the CD if you hunt for it, but... True?

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
It's my understanding that NETBEUI is no longer officially supported in the XP line, you can install it off of the CD if you hunt for it, but... True?
I believe so. It's certainly not in the add components list. And good riddance, IMHO. ;) I was just pointing out that advanced networking capabilities (who'd have thunk that NetBEUI was an "advanced networking capability" in the day...) are in XP Pro, as opposed to XP Home. For me, remote desktop and the ability to join a domain are the critical differentiators.

--janak