View Full Version : PPCW On Bluetooth: "When Something Simple Turns Out To Be Otherwise"

Janak Parekh
06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=1957' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=1957</a><br /><br /></div>Carlo, over at PPCW, starts out by saying <i>"I love Bluetooth. It's one thing I use most of the time, may it be to connect my Pocket PC to a Mobile phone, print to an BT printer and such. But in a recent event, Bluetooth did what it was supposed to do but the situation just showed that Bluetooth is not the best thing that can happen 100% of the time."</i><br /><br />He then goes on to cite the difficulty beaming contacts over BT, but not because it wasn't doing what it was supposed to, but rather because it <i>was</i> doing what it was supposed to do. And, as far as I can tell, there's no trivially obvious fix to this problem... :|

bjornkeizers
06-24-2004, 09:57 PM
lm a bluejacker so I think its great to see more BT devices out there. I agree with him on the names. most ppl dont even know what it is or that its there; so you see a lot of generic names out there - like 'nokia 6310' the bluejackers favorite :-)

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 11:09 PM
you took ed's subject :wink:

ctmagnus
06-25-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm running ROM 1.10 on an iPaq 5550, bt version 1.4.1.60. I just gave my device a unique name (BT icon in system tray, Accesibility tab) and soft-reset. I go back to that tab and the device identification is back at POCKET_PC again! :frusty:

Pony99CA
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Carlo, over at PPCW, starts out by saying "I love Bluetooth. It's one thing I use most of the time, may it be to connect my Pocket PC to a Mobile phone, print to an IR printer and such."
OK, so how does Bluetooth help when printing to an IR printer? :?

He then goes on to cite the difficulty beaming contacts over BT, but not because it wasn't doing what it was supposed to, but rather because it was doing what it was supposed to do. And, as far as I can tell, there's no trivially obvious fix to this problem... :|
As long as the device has a unique name, isn't it possible to pair with the device and filter showing only paired devices? (I've never used Bluetooth enough to know.)

Steve

Pony99CA
06-25-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm running ROM 1.10 on an iPaq 5550, bt version 1.4.1.60. I just gave my device a unique name (BT icon in system tray, Accesibility tab) and soft-reset. I go back to that tab and the device identification is back at POCKET_PC again! :frusty:
I'm running ROM 1.10.10 on my 5550, Bluetooth Firmware 1.7.0-1.8.0 (they don't know?), Software Version 1.4.1.60, Module Release Date 04.15.2003, and it still shows the ID I set (which happens to be the same as my Device ID in the About settings applet).

I just tried changing it to xyz, doing a soft reset, and going back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed xyz. I changed it back to my Device ID, did another soft reset, went back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed my Device ID.

Steve

Kacey Green
06-25-2004, 04:29 PM
I just tried changing it to xyz, doing a soft reset, and going back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed xyz. I changed it back to my Device ID, did another soft reset, went back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed my Device ID.

Steve
Rex is the same way
if you ever see a BT device named "Rex" there is a slim chance it may be me and Rex :wink:

ppcsurfr
06-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Carlo, over at PPCW, starts out by saying "I love Bluetooth. It's one thing I use most of the time, may it be to connect my Pocket PC to a Mobile phone, print to an IR printer and such."
OK, so how does Bluetooth help when printing to an IR printer? :?

He then goes on to cite the difficulty beaming contacts over BT, but not because it wasn't doing what it was supposed to, but rather because it was doing what it was supposed to do. And, as far as I can tell, there's no trivially obvious fix to this problem... :|
As long as the device has a unique name, isn't it possible to pair with the device and filter showing only paired devices? (I've never used Bluetooth enough to know.)

Steve

Hey Steve, you caught me there... hahaha... it should have been BT Printer... I was using an HP Deskjet 450CBi.

Original story edited.

Thanks.

Yes Steve, but the situation was totally different as I was trying to beam my vCard to a person I just met. How can I pair with a device owned by a person I just met in an event where in a given area covered by Bluetooth, there is a traffic of no less than 12 BT devices running around and as more people pass by more devices are registering in my iPAQ? It was total mayhem... it took nearly a minute before I was able to locate the Printer which was just in front of me when I was trying to pair with it... Just the same with the other person I tried beaming my contacts too via BT... It took more than a minute for me to find his device in the long list of active BT devices in my scanned devices list.

If you were a bluejacker, it would have been heaven there... everyone with a Nokia, Palm, Pocket PC, Tablet PC, Laptop, Sony Ericsson phones, Printers, headsets, were all active... so you can just take your pick...

Mabuhay ~ Carlo

ppcsurfr
06-25-2004, 06:44 PM
lm a bluejacker so I think its great to see more BT devices out there. I agree with him on the names. most ppl dont even know what it is or that its there; so you see a lot of generic names out there - like 'nokia 6310' the bluejackers favorite :-)

Oh you would have had so much fun there...

There were so many Nokia 6310s there... :crazyeyes:

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Original story edited.
I also edited my post, although technically it's "a BT printer", not "an BT printer". ;)

--janak

ctmagnus
06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Regarding the quandary I mentioned above, I started a new thread on it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=258115#258115) if anyone cares to read about it.