View Full Version : Axim/Linksys WCF12 can't connect at home anymore

Sushifiend3000
06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
For a while I could surf wirelessly at home from my Axim. All of a sudden I can't, but I can connect flawlessly at airports, hotels, and to my neighbors new Linksys router (password is still default, hehe).

I had been messing around with TCP/UDP and MAC address filters on my router, allowing TiVo, Xbox Live, ActiveSync etc. but I can't figure out what is now keeping me from connecting with the Axim. When it worked, it would connect within 10 seconds after powering up. When it didn't connect automatically I'd use Pocket Boingo to establish the connection. Now not even that works. What could have changed that would be keeping me from connecting now?

gvanjr
06-24-2004, 10:53 AM
For a while I could surf wirelessly at home from my Axim. All of a sudden I can't, but I can connect flawlessly at airports, hotels, and to my neighbors new Linksys router (password is still default, hehe).

I had been messing around with TCP/UDP and MAC address filters on my router, allowing TiVo, Xbox Live, ActiveSync etc. but I can't figure out what is now keeping me from connecting with the Axim. When it worked, it would connect within 10 seconds after powering up. When it didn't connect automatically I'd use Pocket Boingo to establish the connection. Now not even that works. What could have changed that would be keeping me from connecting now?Check your networking settings. It's possible that after connecting to your neighbor's network, which is illegal in most states without permission, the TCP/IP settings may be such that caused a conflict with the settings as established by your router.

Pony99CA
06-24-2004, 01:04 PM

I had been messing around with TCP/UDP and MAC address filters on my router, allowing TiVo, Xbox Live, ActiveSync etc. but I can't figure out what is now keeping me from connecting with the Axim. When it worked, it would connect within 10 seconds after powering up. When it didn't connect automatically I'd use Pocket Boingo to establish the connection. Now not even that works. What could have changed that would be keeping me from connecting now?
First, can you connect to your router at all? Can you view your LAN or ActiveSync over WiFi at home?

Second, ensure that you're trying to connect to your network. Windows Mobile 2003 seems to try to connect to the last access point it connected to, even if there's no signal. :roll:

If none of that works, make your router as close to factory default as you can (no WEP, no MAC filtering, etc.) and see if you can connect.

Steve

Sushifiend3000
06-25-2004, 12:03 AM
I ultimately ended up resetting the router to factory defaults and in the process of reconfiguring it, discovered that setting the authentication type to Shared Key prevents it from connecting. All of my other devices work while it's in this mode. I changed it to Open System and am back to wireless nirvana. Do you think Open System authentication with a 64-bit WEP key is good enough to prevent unauthorized access?