View Full Version : What's else is new in Windows Mobile 2003 SE

bnycastro
06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't know were to ask this question so I'm just posting it here since I own an iPAQ.

It's about Windows Mobile 2003 SE. As the title suggests I would like to know what else I can gain by getting an upgrade (or buying a new device with this OS) of this OS. From what I've read around the net the only thing it adds is the screen resolution support, landscape mode support, font size support, pocket IE improvements and some cosmetic changes to the UI. My question is what else is there for us??? I mean are the alarms bug fixed? Are the Tasks alarms user definable now? Is Pocket Word/Excel Improved? The little things that we the end users want to see improved.

Let's say that an upgrade CD would set us back USD 30 or more if it's shipped... is it worth it or should I wait for the full version of the next OS Windows Mobile 2004 or 2005 or whatever they want to call it?

They say that WinMobile 2003 SE is not a re-write but just improving the current OS... if so is this the same as the EUUs that MS had released to their OEMs last time (PocketPC2002, I think they came out with upto 3 EUUs for PocketPC2002), is WinMobile 2003 SE just a fancy re-name of EUUs (ala PocketPC to WindowsMobile for Pocket PC) :roll: Also I think EUUs were free (I think if you had a current model); did they put the Windows brand on it so they could charge us?

milkman dan
06-24-2004, 08:38 AM
by the sounds of it from what I can gather, there isn't much to offer in the new WME aside from a newer outlook, and a crippled graphics capabilities. I am almost posotive that WME 2005, or whatever you call it will be incompatible with todays PDA's as it is going to be implementing directX, which sucks for my PDA, but is cool for the next pda I buy :D

Chucky
06-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I reckon the main reason WM2005 wouldn't work with current PDA's isnt DirectX, afterall you can still run DirectX on a PC without a graphics accelerator - it would just be implemented in software. The reason why I think WM2005 wont work is there wont be enough rom space for it.

Who knows, I hope I'm wrong :)

Pony99CA
06-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I don't know were to ask this question so I'm just posting it here since I own an iPAQ.
I think I would have posted in Just Chattin', but maybe there should be a Pocket PC OS forum.

It's about Windows Mobile 2003 SE. As the title suggests I would like to know what else I can gain by getting an upgrade (or buying a new device with this OS) of this OS. From what I've read around the net the only thing it adds is the screen resolution support, landscape mode support, font size support, pocket IE improvements and some cosmetic changes to the UI. My question is what else is there for us??? I mean are the alarms bug fixed? Are the Tasks alarms user definable now? Is Pocket Word/Excel Improved? The little things that we the end users want to see improved.
To come close to answering your questions, have you read the reviews at Brighthand (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Brighthand_Review_Windows_Mobile_SE) and pocketnow (http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=408)?

My guess is that there aren't task alarms and Pocket Word and Excel are the same programs we know and love (loathe?).

Let's say that an upgrade CD would set us back USD 30 or more if it's shipped... is it worth it or should I wait for the full version of the next OS Windows Mobile 2004 or 2005 or whatever they want to call it?

They say that WinMobile 2003 SE is not a re-write but just improving the current OS... if so is this the same as the EUUs that MS had released to their OEMs last time (PocketPC2002, I think they came out with upto 3 EUUs for PocketPC2002), is WinMobile 2003 SE just a fancy re-name of EUUs (ala PocketPC to WindowsMobile for Pocket PC) :roll:
No, I think this is considered a new release of the operating system (an upgrade), not just a fix (an update, like the EUUs). It includes major new functions like landscape support and supporting other resolutions besides 240x320.

If I'm correct, this may be the only upgrade you'll be able to get. HP doesn't typically allow more than one upgrade for a Pocket PC.

Steve