View Full Version : My iPaq, an ongoing PDA journey and review

kosmicki
06-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Today is my birthday, and I have, at long last, attained the necessary funds to get my iPaq 2200. Tomorrow I begin the process to try and attain my PDA. This will be a journal and review of the process from ordering, to shipping, to playing with the thing.

If I can get the PDA at the price I want, the following days after PDA arrival will contain the same for my case (Sena), screen overlay, and keyboard (Think Outside XT).

I felt the need to start this today so when I complete a step, I can enter it here without setting it up. I shall post full details on where I order and the price AFTER I order it, where I want to get it from has limited stock, and I’m greedy. (Some of you might guess, but I’m not giving anything up till then)

So thus, the opening speech before the great journey!

:mrgreen:

maximus
06-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Happy Birthday and happy PDA-ing :D

kosmicki
06-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I got one! I got, direct from HP business refurb, a iPaq 2215 'Scratch and Dent' model. With a one year warranty, with shipping and tax, for $253.11.

And I also have the option of buying a three year CarePaq extended warranty.

http://www.smb.compaq.com/html/hpremarketing/daily.html?c=HPSMBCtr_buspurchase&n=D_I_DR_X_T_x_GenericNVP&t=ad&r=HP_SMBCtr_O&jumpid=re_R295_store/buspurchase-refurbished/all/price-list#handheld

The model I got (FA159AR-AZP-S) is not listed there, and I snagged the only one in stock.

Three day UPS ground shipping, goes out today.
Edit: Was actually 2-day Fedex. Rep told me wrong one when I wrote this.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now you see why I did not want to leak my site yet. :)

>giddy<

Edit: I suppose being a review thread, I should add how the ordering went. It was very good, took a total of 6 minutes, paid with a debit card.
Chris, my sales rep, was very nice and answered all my questions without any complaint. (Other reps seemed insulted that they had to do their job.)
So if you get someone crappy, I'd say hang up and try again.

kosmicki
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Don't know if anyone is interested in this or not, but i'll post an update anyways.

My iPaq is sitting somewhere in Phoenix, no doubt somewhere inside a Fedex building or truck.

Due to arrive monday.

2 day shipping, and I had to order it on a thursday. :(

Oh well, my PDA is a mere 250 miles away!

Kowalski
06-26-2004, 07:20 PM
2215 ? what made you to choose 2215?
why didnt you go for the new x30?

Janak Parekh
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
2215 ? what made you to choose 2215?
Did you note the price he got it for?

why didnt you go for the new x30?
You know, the X30 isn't the only worthwhile PDA on the market. Please stop suggesting that it is. Your recent comments come off as "anyone who isn't getting an X30 is making a mistake", and that's simply not true.

--janak

kosmicki
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
CF slot. I'm planning on getting a 1-2GB CF card in a few months, CF is cheaper than SD for memory, and with the dual slot, I could get one of each if I wanted to.

Right now a 1GB CF card runs about $130 on pricegrabber.

SD card is around $240

>shrug<

Janak Parekh
06-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Don't know if anyone is interested in this or not, but i'll post an update anyways.
I know how you feel. :) It's like a miniature form of torture. Just wait until it gets to your home -- it only gets worse when you're waiting around for it to charge. ;)

Congrats on your purchase!

--janak

kosmicki
06-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Congrats on your purchase!

Thanks!

My drooling over pocket pcs started with the iPaq 3600... Been waiting for a while to get one. :mrgreen:

And I think my desk is high enough to have it charging in the cradle while I mess with it...

JimPAQ
06-27-2004, 03:49 AM
I agree, I think people totally underestimate the advantages of having both CF and SD slots in the same PDA. That’s the main reason why I bought my 2215. I had invested a lot of money in CF devices and was disappointed when I looked around for a new one and couldn’t find any with CF support. When I finally got the 2215, I was pleasantly surprised by all of the other advantages that came from having both CF and SD support. Like running my CF GPS and loading all the maps for Pocket Streets onto a SD card. Or moving the one map that I want to use into memory and listening to music from another SD card. Or, taking pictures from a CF digital camera and moving them directly to an SD card. The way I look at it, the SD slot is just for extending the existing memory most of the time. I have lots of programs installed on one of my SD cards. The CF slot is for running devices and moving things around.

Congratulations, I think the 2215 is an excellent choice.

--Jim

kosmicki
06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Went out for delivery about three hours ago….

Spending half the time looking out the window…

Package tracking, both a blessing and a curse. :mrgreen:

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:08 PM
I have to say that the main group of people that would want an X30, would want it for its speed. What do you use speed for aside from playing games? I use my 2215 and LOVE IT TO DEATH. I paid $200US for it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38331&item=5701623779 and I can honestly say that I would have 10X a better gaming experience then on an X30. Yes, my device is 224MHz slower, but guess what? I have USEABLE buttons, and I can store a hell of alot of games on a CF slot AND an SD slot. As far as the new devices go, I would be hard pressed to reccomend an X30 to anyone, they have puny batteries, button lag, and WME second edition seems to have pretty flakey video issues. Good price mind you, but I am pretty sure that is becuase the VGA devices that will be standard soon will make the x30 look like crap.

marlof
06-28-2004, 08:18 PM
CF slot. I'm planning on getting a 1-2GB CF card in a few months, CF is cheaper than SD for memory, and with the dual slot, I could get one of each if I wanted to.

I really like the 2210 for this. I have one, and I'm not the least bit tempted to get a X30. My 2210 does everything I want, and the speed isn't too shabby either. The only reason I'd upgrade at this moment would be either convergence (phone edition) or VGA screen, neither of which the X30 has. :)

kosmicki
06-28-2004, 10:39 PM
It’s here! Box is a plain brown box, with Compaq on the side. About six “Quality Compaq Re-certified Product” stickers are on it. It is in excellent shape.

Taking off the packing slip now… just the normal type..

Time to open it at last!

(Yes, I really am typing this while I go through the steps)

First layer, a plastic bag with some papers and CDs.

Also has the plug for the adapter inside this top bag.

Next is a black plastic thing.

There it is. One layer of bubble wrap is all that holds it. Hmm. Right off the bat I see a very tiny nick right above the screen, just under the power button. Lower right side has a small (1/8 inch) scrape mark… And the top has one like it. Nothing I would not have caused in a week anyways. The only other thing I notice is the buttons are actually dusty. They repair but don’t clean I guess.

Underneath the iPaq is the battery. Also in this lower plastic tote is the cradle, aside from some dust, it looks brand new.

Only other thing is a little case, should serve well till I get my Sena.

Away for a minute while I read the documentation.

Hehehe, this is soooo cool.

Ok enough messing around, for the moment…

Time to install activesync and all that, but you all know about those things already :mrgreen:

Fishie
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Your last post just oozes excitement.

kosmicki
06-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Indeed it does! And for good reason, this thing is frickin cool! Now, to order my new case..

kosmicki
06-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Ordered a black leather Sena case, with the Ultra belt clip. $49.98 with shipping. Very nice site, smooth ordering process. And I got an email confirmation almost instantly.

maximus
06-29-2004, 01:18 AM
A big hole in the pocket :D

kosmicki
06-29-2004, 01:31 AM
A big hole in the pocket :D

Hoping the case will prevent holes in the pocket p... Ohhhhh.... well, yeah. But its worth it ^_^

maximus
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey, how about some games and apps for the brand new 2215 ? :devilboy:

www.pocketgear.com

www.handango.com

:devilboy: :devilboy: :devilboy:

dunneldeen
06-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey, how about some games and apps for the brand new 2215 ? :devilboy:

www.pocketgear.com

www.handango.com

:devilboy: :devilboy: :devilboy:

Or, having just spent a lot of money, how about some free programs.

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

kosmicki
06-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Hehe, thanks for the freeware link, going to be browsing that next.

About six months ago I bought Snails, Gamebox Gems, and Anthelion. Was a really good sale. :mrgreen: Finally got to mess with em.

Last night, after balacing my checkbook at 1AM (fun!) I ordered a Think Outside Stowaway XT keyboard. $46 with shipping. Was a smooth process, except their site is SO SLOW in ordering... Took me 15 minutes all said and done..

And also, I'm not just buying all this on a whim :P I planned all this before I bought the PPC even.

Next purchase (a good bit down the road now that I spend all this) Is either a WiFi SD card, or a 1GB CF card.

kosmicki
07-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Got both my Sena case today, and Stowaway XT keyboard.

Both arrived via USPS and in good shape. First opening the box from ThinkOutside I was greeted by a faceful of packing peanuts. They did not skimp on them in the least. Fellowes keyboard inside, very nice packaging. Installed the drivers from the CD and had some problems, whenever I turned my PPC off. I could not start it again without a soft reboot (from the button in the back)

Turns out the driver on the CD (1.7) does not support Windows Mobile 2003. Went and got the the latest driver from Fellowes.com (2.1) and all is well. I knew it would not fit the 2215 very well, says so on the site, but it needs more filing then you think :| after a good half hour it still was not down enough, so tomorrow I'm going to use a better file and get it nice and flat. I did get it down enough to work. Seems very nice, just will take a bit of getting used to, being a strange keyboard.

The Sena case arrived in a Postal Service VCR tape mailer, inside was a red Sena box, inside /that/ was a bag and the belt clip. Inside THAT was the actual case.

Mmmmm.... Leather....

After a short struggle I got it on (those rubber grips really do grip..) Feels a bit weird on the back, being that ridge where it is all sewn together. But I imagine it will flatten a bit with use.

I'm also impressed with the magnetic closure, could not shake it open at all. And it really DOES fit in the cradle, even with the belt clip on (though you do need to turn it sideways).

I have work tomorrow, so I'll give a full report on the case and how it handles. Along with the keyboard if I have a need to use it.

-Kosmicki (Exp Bonus: +2 Geek)

Paula
07-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I am also a 2215 owner and it has my heart. I love it so much. I also bought it for the dual slots. CF cards are the best, while SD cards are the devil's spawn :devilboy:
You also made a great case choice. I love my Sena case.

Paula

kosmicki
07-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Ordered a G2 screen protector today (Might have spotted my other thread)

Was a smooth ordering process, nothing stands out in either way about it.

$16.90 for two of them with shipping.

As for my keyboard and case, I have not had the chance to use the belt clip, last time I was in town I forgot my belt. :razz:

Used the keyboard for about a half hour, just typing random stuff that went through my mind. (Had nothing TO type at the time) I am quite impressed with it, the few times I had to type numbers it was no big deal at all to hit the blue FN key. It does take some getting used to, but with some time it can still be fast.

The keyboard has a NumLock button that does the same thing as holding down the blue FN key, so if you had a large string of numbers to enter, you could still do it with ease.

-Kos

Ripper014
07-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Paula... you are still around...??? She's the best... and if you need something for your Hp2200... she is the gal to ask...

kosmicki
07-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Two weeks later my G2 screen protectors have arrived. Not sure if this is the norm or my order got delayed or not.

Arrived in a plain white envelope, in perfect shape. Opening it there are the two G2s, a cleaning cloth, and instructions.

The G2s were in a little plastic bag if you were wondering.

Decided to install them in the bathroom, though forgave the shower. Was pretty dust free in there already. Had a hard time getting the plastic that overlays the protector off, tape was not pulling it so I ended up giving it a sharp yank, that did the trick (thought I was going to break the thing though...)

My GOD these things are hard to install! :evil: I think if it was one millimeter larger I would not have been able to get it in.

Tip: for 2200, install with you looking at the ipaq UPSIDE DOWN. It says whatever one has the biggest gap, but you need the clearance by the joypad in order to even get it even CLOSE.

I ended up with a little dust and a slight smuge on the bottom, but after 20 minutes I decided it was good enough. (You may want to get someone else to install it if you are not very tactile.)

Once the backlight was on, I could not see a thing. Really. It's that clear, like glass. My first attempts at the stylus was like ice skating for the first time, this thing is SLICK. (As in slippery, not neat, though it is that also)

Will take a bit of getting used it, it really is like a naked screen.

After about 15 minutes of heavy sunstone swapping in Gamebox Gems, the protector did not slide around one bit. Not sure how I feel about the slickness, but I think I can adjust in a couple days.

As for how scratch proof it is, only time will tell. But my impressions as of this moment? I think I would buy this product again. Though if all its claims are true, I won't have to for this PDA. ;)

-kosmicki