View Full Version : Toshiba e800 Series WM2K3 SE US Release

DiGiTYZED
06-23-2004, 08:15 PM
What's the ETA for the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition US release?

I have the UK version, I don't want to try it.

TIA

yankeejeep
06-23-2004, 08:26 PM
English-speakers all around us are getting their versions - it has also been posted for Canada and Australia. My own suspicion is that there are licensing issues still being addressed in the US, since the hardware doesn't seem to be an issue to most of the upgraders who have flashed using English-language SE ROM images from the other sites. So I guess we all just lift our eyes to the heavens and know that a US release is coming when we catch sight of a flight formation containing pink snouts and curly tails.

Deralict
06-23-2004, 09:13 PM
The German version (which is 100% English) works perfectly fine with no issues whatsoever. I installed it when it was first released (about a month ago now) and have been enjoying VGA ever since...

yankeejeep
06-23-2004, 09:31 PM
The kicker is that flashing your ROM with a non-US update voids your unit's warranty, even if the US ROM upgrade ends up being the same.

Janak Parekh
06-23-2004, 09:36 PM
The kicker is that flashing your ROM with a non-US update voids your unit's warranty, even if the US ROM upgrade ends up being the same.
Yeah - that's why I haven't upgraded mine either. :( That, and just in case there are some subtle differences...

--janak

DiGiTYZED
06-23-2004, 10:29 PM
so how about an estimate... 2 weeks?... 1 month?... early fall?... mid-spring?

Janak Parekh
06-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Rumor has a July release, but that's only a rumor...

--janak

DiGiTYZED
06-24-2004, 07:05 AM
any word from toshiba themselves on a release date?

yankeejeep
06-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Please. Toshiba media relations people are like Senators in that old joke. How can you tell when they're BS-ing you? Their lips move.

yankeejeep
06-24-2004, 06:56 PM
mouth (yeah, that's the end I mean, mouth) by email today. Or, as we all know and love them, Toshiba Tech Support.

No date has been set for a US release. No details are available. Keep checking the support web page because they will probably put a notice there when it's available.

And the check is in the mail.

DiGiTYZED
06-24-2004, 10:01 PM
thanx

i guess i'll just wait 'til it releases

BTW, how will I get the upgrade? (officially from toshiba, not a leaked link or some techie's server) do i have to be registered (have registered my product)?

yankeejeep
06-25-2004, 04:28 PM
If it is handled like their ROM updates for previous versions, it will be posted in the e800/e805 section as a public download executable. I imagine it will have a check routine built in so that in checks the current ROM before flashing to verify. Since they'll be specific to the 800 series (or they have been in the other English releases), trying to flash another model will either fail to initiate or make the device's ROM unusable. The flash utilities seem to check before starting the process.