View Full Version : Flat Battery Blues

synaptic
06-22-2004, 06:08 PM
my iPAQ 2210 came preloaded with TOMTOM Navigator and maps for europe, so I took it on holiday without the charger and the battery, including backups ran completely flat. And now I cannot find TOMTOM anymore!

Does anyone have any idea how why this might have happened or how I can recover tomtom?

It wasn't installed on a card, and the supplier say they cn't re-install it for me.

Help :(

GoldKey
06-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Memory in a PPC is volitile. If the battery goes dead, you lose your data. Did you get the software on CD with your PPC? If so you will need to reload it. If not, and they won't provide it, you may be up a creek. If so, though, you may want to contact Tom Tom directly, and they may be able to help you out.

milkman dan
06-23-2004, 01:32 AM
??? my battery has ran flat NUMEROUS times, I have never lost any data except when the backup battery on my 3670 died, that sucked :(

Janak Parekh
06-23-2004, 01:51 AM
??? my battery has ran flat NUMEROUS times, I have never lost any data except when the backup battery on my 3670 died, that sucked :(
The 3670 had no backup battery. This means your battery didn't truly run flat, but rather the device turned itself off to keep a little power in the main battery. If you had left your iPAQ off a cradle for a couple days after it shut off due to low battery power, it would have triggered a hard reset.

--janak

synaptic
06-23-2004, 10:07 AM
So, if my system triggered a hard reset because of a flat battery, is there any way of getting data back after a hard reset; letters, spreadshets etc' ?

Stephen Beesley
06-23-2004, 11:46 AM
So, if my system triggered a hard reset because of a flat battery, is there any way of getting data back after a hard reset; letters, spreadshets etc' ?

If the data was stored in main memory (rather than on a storage card or in the Ipaq File Store) then I am afraid it is gone for good unless you have a recent backup.

Steven Cedrone
06-23-2004, 01:22 PM

Well, if you were sync'ing with a PC you should have a copy of the documents (if they were in your "My Documents" folder)...

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, if you were sync'ing with a PC you should have a copy of the documents (if they were in your "My Documents" folder)...
Assuming, of course, you were syncing the My Documents folder (which, I believe, is not on by default).

--janak

Steven Cedrone
06-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Assuming, of course, you were syncing the My Documents folder (which, I believe, is not on by default).

Good point! :wink:

Steve

maximus
06-24-2004, 01:58 AM
When I bought a 2210 for the wife, it came preloaded with several softwares and with a free 64MB SD card that has backup image for all the currently installed software. So everytime she forgot to charge the battery, and hard reset occured, she can restore from the SD card.

Do you have a backup SD card in your package ?