View Full Version : Overclocking iPAQ 2210?

Martin I Pettinger
06-21-2004, 01:16 PM
-
All

Are you overclocking your iPAQ 2210, indeed is this possible. Haven't been keeping a breast with the PDA for a while now. Would be interested in others experiences?

Martin
-

Fishie
06-21-2004, 03:02 PM
-
All

Are you overclocking your iPAQ 2210, indeed is this possible. Haven't been keeping a breast with the PDA for a while now. Would be interested in others experiences?

Martin
-

I no longer have my 2210 on which I used XCPUscaler but I do use Today task Master these days.

Its an awesome program, so is XCPUscaler really but TTM just does so much more.

milkman dan
06-22-2004, 09:40 AM
OC'ing pda's is in my opinion stupider than oc'ing a computer. Yes, you will get a noticable increase in benchmark scores, but it rarley translate into a noticable difference for anything else, aside from a shorter lifespan for your battery, and pda

Martin I Pettinger
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks Dan. Based on the limited response I think I will leave my processor as it is!

Kowalski
06-22-2004, 10:53 AM
aside from a shorter lifespan for your battery, and pda
there is a flip side of the coin: down cloaking can save some power.
anyone tried this?

milkman dan
06-22-2004, 01:16 PM
That is what the xscale processor is good for, it underclocks itself in the same way a laptop cpu does when it is not needed. I am pretty sure the 400MHz xscales sit at 100mhz when you arent doing anything that uses the rest of the cpu power. Underclocking is a good idea though, I have ran an underclocked P4 server for a few years now just for the added stability in my cheap no name ddr ram that is in it

rzanology
06-23-2004, 01:44 AM
I no longer have my 2210 on which I used XCPUscaler but I do use Today task Master these days.

do you have a link to this program? I use to use pocket hack master. but they never came out with profiles for the 2215.

Ripper014
06-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Actually Pocket Hack Master did come out with profiles... you need to download the latest version. Also last I heard a new version was due to be released... and if the upgrade is on time it should be available now.

Kowalski
06-23-2004, 09:48 AM
all xscale cpus born with scaling capability for sure. but AFAIK 2215 doesnt implement this feature. asus and dell have it by the way.
what i am asking is, is there anyone who tried to underclock in order to gain some more runtimes.

Fishie
06-23-2004, 02:37 PM

do you have a link to this program? I use to use pocket hack master. but they never came out with profiles for the 2215.

The download is hosted at www.pocketpctools.com , its free but you do need to be registered to download it.

Fishie
06-23-2004, 02:39 PM
all xscale cpus born with scaling capability for sure. but AFAIK 2215 doesnt implement this feature. asus and dell have it by the way.
what i am asking is, is there anyone who tried to underclock in order to gain some more runtimes.

I did on long flights for MP3 playback and ebook reading.

It does prolong the life of the battery but isnt really usefull for anything else then music and books as the drop in performance is quite steep for heavy programs.

Overclocking works really well for demanding video(640by480 DiVX movies) and emulation though.

szamot
06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Don't know people, it seems to me that overclocking has its great benefits especially if you are trying to listen to music or stream it and reading a book at the same time or just watching a video in full screen. As far as battery life goes. Really who cares, no matter what you do to your PPC the battery will be dead in about 2-3 years anyway and honestly who wants to keep a 3 year old PPC. In PPC years that's already archaic to say the least. To me that’s like buying a Ferrari but only ever driving it at 60km/h. For a fraction of the money a Pinto will do the same. If you got it – USE it and abuse it, for me its always been the same. Play hard or go home.

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 08:16 PM
nobody has mentioned it yet, but the 2215 is not meant to be underclocked, it only saves battery life in one or two rare circumstances

so if you want the longest runtime out of a 22xx, don't mess with the clock, because underclocking it causes it to use more power with few exceptions

rzanology
06-24-2004, 08:47 PM
whoa whoa whoa....says who? how you know? Does this mean that it is ment for OVERclocking?....no offense....just trying to get some info here. Cause i have my 2215 pushing 530 strong!

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 11:04 PM
several people some even had facts to back it up I still don't have time to do the research (I wasted it all finding this post [stupid search {will it be better in the new version?}])

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=242656#242656