View Full Version : Seeking a quick way of backing up CF card to SD card

Martin I Pettinger
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
-
All

Looking for a program to do something simple. I want to back up a CF card full of photos onto a SD card on my iPAQ 2210.

There is Pixfer but it is about $35 which seems quite expensive. Before anyone states the almost obvious I am not interested in selecting and using cut and paste in File Explorer. Maybe Resco File Explorer can do this with a little more sophistication.

Oh by the way I use an iPAQ 2210 - also consider whether iPAQ back up would do this but it only seems to create a pbf file.

Best regards

Martin
-

coppertrail
06-21-2004, 03:17 PM
You could get a USB SD/CF card reader for your PC and do it that way. They're very inexpensive and much faster that ActiveSync.

Martin I Pettinger
06-21-2004, 03:57 PM
-
Coppertrail

I want to copy files from my digital camera whilst in the field to free up the camera's memory card for more shots. The camera uses a xD card. I have a xD to CF adaptor and hence can copy files from CF slot to SD on the iPAQ. I want to use SD cards as they are about half the price of xD cards! I.e. I was going to pick up a 256mB SD card and use my iPAQ like a portable drive for the digital camera.

Cheers

Martin
-

Sven Johannsen
06-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Why aren't you interested in opening the CF card in File Explorer and using an onscreen keyboard to select all the pics with Ctrl-A, hitting Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-X if you are brave), switching to the CF card and hitting Ctrl-V. Seems pretty painless.

If your camera puts the pics in a directory on the CF card it is even faster. Just Ctrl-C to copy the directory, change to the SD and Ctrl-V.

Martin I Pettinger
06-21-2004, 04:47 PM
-
Sven

If it is that easy I wonder why there is a dedicated programme like Pixfer on sale for $34.95.

I haven't got a SD card to test at the moment but I wondered if trying to copy and paste such a large ammount of data would crash the iPAQ. I thought that the iPAQ tried to make a temporary copy of the files in question.

One thing I guess I could try is copying 32 mB of data using your suggestion and see how I get on. Maybe Pixfer is a lot quicker?

Martin
-

rugerx
06-22-2004, 05:54 PM
If it is that easy I wonder why there is a dedicated programme like Pixfer on sale for $34.95.

Because there is always a sucker who will buy it?
:wink: