View Full Version : Using BT to surf?

carrigaline
06-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I am new to using BT on my ipaq. I have a 3975 with WM2003.

I am going to buy a BT usb dongle to enable me to sync my ppc with my desktop - I have found out some info on this on the net ok.

What I am wondering about though is if I can surf the net on my ppc/refresh my Avantgo through a BT connection to my desktop (which has a broadband connection)?

If it is possible to use my desktop's DSL on my 3975 via a BT link then is it hard to set up? Also - what speed would it work at on my ipaq if say my DSL was 500k?

Thanks for your help!

Zack Mahdavi
06-21-2004, 06:59 AM
I'd recommend just setting up an Activesync connection over Bluetooth. Then, you'd have net access and the ability to sync Avantgo.

There are other ways, but they are much more complicated to set up.

wocket
06-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Yep once you've got active sync over bluetooth set up you can surf away as long as you have the passthrough enabled in active sync.

carrigaline
06-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys!

So it seems fairly easy and trouble free.

I want to surf in a different room to my desktop - within 30 feet or so - is that any issue when using BT?

Which is the best/most reliable BT USB Dongle to use for this?

Cheers! :D

ctmagnus
06-21-2004, 04:37 PM
30' is about the furthest you can get from the desktop using BT, with no walls or anything in the way. 20' is probably a more realistic expectation.

As far as dongles go, I recommend the Belkin F8T001 (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200583&pcount=&Product_Id=126336).

cyclwestks
06-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I have the Belkin dongle plugged into my desktop downstairs, & I can connect anywhere in the house, & even sitting out on my patio. Although with a brick house, I do lose the connection occasionally out on the patio.