View Full Version : How Can I Change Default Alarm for TASKS

bnycastro
06-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Can we change the default alarm time for TASKS in WinMobile 2003? 8am doesn't cut it for me.

The only apps that I know that can change this is PocketInformant or AgendaFusion (not sure) but these are heavy PIM apps that I have tried and find that I don't need.

Can this be done at a registry level? Can this be done at a per task level or would it be a global change affecting all Tasks? I wouldn't mind hacking the registry for this. Any help would be appreciated :)

Pony99CA
06-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Can we change the default alarm time for TASKS in WinMobile 2003? 8am doesn't cut it for me.

The only apps that I know that can change this is PocketInformant or AgendaFusion (not sure) but these are heavy PIM apps that I have tried and find that I don't need.

Can this be done at a registry level? Can this be done at a per task level or would it be a global change affecting all Tasks? I wouldn't mind hacking the registry for this. Any help would be appreciated :)
I agree that the 8 AM task alarm is stupid. Why can't Microsoft add an alarm time?

However, I don't believe there's any registry tweak that will help (unless there's a hidden one I haven't heard of to display a time entry field). All task information (including alarm times) are stored in the Tasks Database, a system database. The only way to get a time other than 8 AM there would be to use a program which writes them there in the first place (like Pocket Informant) or a program which can edit system databases (like PhatWare's dbExplorer (http://www.phatware.com/hpcdbex.html)).

WARNING: Editing system databases is very risky. Like editing the registry, there's a chance that you could completely mess up your Pocket PC. In fact, it seems that at least some of the registry entries are stored in the \ConfigMetabase database.

Steve

bnycastro
06-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Then I guess I will have to wait for MS to implement this feature :(

What I don't get is this... in Outlook you can set Alarm Times individually per Task. And if outlook syncs with the PPC why can't they just get Outlook to affect the Tasks in PPC? The least MS could do is allow me to change the Tasks Alert on the desktop and sync it with my ppc.

Ok so this is the second time that Outlook has let me down... First with the CALENDAR (changing the Work Hours on the Desktop did not reflect in the PPC--fortunately PPCThoughts Forums is here and I learned from other users how to change this) I guess even if two products come from the same company it still doesn't mean they are completely compatible...

Janak Parekh
06-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Honestly, I'd strongly suggest you take the PI or AF trial out for a spin. I don't use nearly all of PI's functions, but it adds a few key features that I find indispensable. Task reminder times is one of them. (Of the two, I think AF's interface looks a little more like Pocket Outlook, if that's of any help.)

--janak

Pony99CA
06-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Honestly, I'd strongly suggest you take the PI or AF trial out for a spin. I don't use nearly all of PI's functions, but it adds a few key features that I find indispensable. Task reminder times is one of them. (Of the two, I think AF's interface looks a little more like Pocket Outlook, if that's of any help.)

Even when you set a task alarm to a time other than 8 AM, there are some circumstances where it will get reset to 8 AM. Obviously editing the task in the Tasks application might cause this, but I think I've had it happen from syncing.

If setting the Task reminder time in Outlook doesn't synchronize to the Pocket PC, that's just stupid. The Tasks database seems to have an alarm time field, so why not synchronize it? (I suppose in case somebody edits the task, which might cause the alarm to get reset to 8 AM, which just gets back to the need for an alarm time in Tasks. :roll:)

Steve