View Full Version : Firefox 0.9 Questions

Jason Dunn
06-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, so I figured I'd try the latest version of Firefox after hearing so many people rant about it. Pretty good so far, but I'm still stuck on the same issues that I had with the last version I tried.

Tabbed Browsing rocks, but Firefox doesn't seem to make it easy to use. Here's what I want but haven't figured out how to do:

1) New links to open up automatically as tabs. I want a "contained" single-window browser where all Web sites are in the same Firefox session. Isn't that the whole point of tabbed browsing? I don't want links to open up a new instance of Firefox.

2) Keyboard shortcuts to move from tab to tab. I cant' seem to find how to do that.

3) I find it visually distracting that the blinking cursor for typing is actually OVER the letters as you type rather than being behind it as with every other Windows program. I don't imagine there's a way to adjust this, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any input!

murph
06-18-2004, 04:22 PM
1) install "Tabbrowser Extensions" Extension. There is a setting for this extension that fixes this.
2) CTRL-TAB cycles through tabs. CTRL-1 switches to first tab, CTRL-2 switches to second tab, etc.

Jason Dunn
06-18-2004, 04:52 PM
1) Can't seem to find that on the Firefox Extensions page:

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?type=E&application=firefox&category=Tabbed%20Browsing&numpg=10

I searched through the "All" category and couldn't find it either.

2) Aha! Awesome, thanks!

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 04:54 PM
1) New links to open up automatically as tabs. I want a "contained" single-window browser where all Web sites are in the same Firefox session. Isn't that the whole point of tabbed browsing? I don't want links to open up a new instance of Firefox.
Here (http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en) is the link to Tabbrowser Extensions. Two warnings: a) it's an amazingly, HUGELY complex tool that lets you customize tab behavior in every imaginable way possible, so give it time -- I personally love the customization; b) there are some small quirks as Firefox 0.9 came out after it -- nothing seriously major, but I can't wait for the next update (he releases an update once every week or two).

2) Keyboard shortcuts to move from tab to tab. I cant' seem to find how to do that.
Another pair is CTRL-PGUP and CTRL-PGDN - those are my preferred controls.

3) I find it visually distracting that the blinking cursor for typing is actually OVER the letters as you type rather than being behind it as with every other Windows program. I don't imagine there's a way to adjust this, but I thought I'd ask.
Hm? I don't have this problem? :| As I'm typing the letters, the caret is immediately to the right of the last character I typed, a la Word or IE.

--janak

Jacob
06-18-2004, 05:00 PM
For #1 you might want to look at Tab Browser Preferences instead - Tab Browser Extensions has every option including the kitchen sink and some have reported it slowing the browser down.

Tab Browser Preferences allows single window mode and is smaller, although has less options.

I could find both here (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tabprefs) although I would make sure they've been updated for 0.9 first.

draiken
06-18-2004, 05:00 PM
to open links in tabs do a CTRL-CLICK it will open on a new tab, instead of in a new window

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 05:07 PM
to open links in tabs do a CTRL-CLICK it will open on a new tab, instead of in a new window
Oh, right - we're giving the complex answers. ;) A middle-click will also work. The extensions just allow the browser to "force" single window mode.

--janak

murph
06-18-2004, 06:06 PM
i used to use NetCaptor for browsing until i switched to Firefox. if i could switch the tab switching to F2 and F3 (like it was in Netcaptor) i could die a happy man.

a single keypress for swapping tabs would be soooo much better.

Jason Dunn
06-18-2004, 06:08 PM
a single keypress for swapping tabs would be soooo much better.

I'm with ya! That's really what I'm looking for as well.

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 06:12 PM
i used to use NetCaptor for browsing until i switched to Firefox. if i could switch the tab switching to F2 and F3 (like it was in Netcaptor) i could die a happy man.
There's probably an extension or preference that lets you remap keys. For me, though, with tabbrowser extensions you can actually use the mouse wheel to switch between tabs - just hover over the tabbar and roll - and I'm totally addicted to that gesture. :)

--janak

Jason Dunn
06-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Hm? I don't have this problem? :| As I'm typing the letters, the caret is immediately to the right of the last character I typed, a la Word or IE.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/ie-cursor.gif

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/firefox-cursor.gif

Notice that the Firefox cursor is positioned OVER the text, not beside it.

Not a deal-breaker for me, but I just thought it was odd and I find it distracting.

Jason Dunn
06-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I could find both here (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tabprefs) although I would make sure they've been updated for 0.9 first.

Thanks. I feel like a Linux geek now though - wating for a file to be fixed up for the latest version of the browser that has been fixed up...sheesh. :lol:

Kowalski
06-19-2004, 08:57 AM
if you click a link with the third button of the mouse, the program opens the link in a new tab

c38b2
06-19-2004, 12:19 PM
if you click a link with the third button of the mouse, the program opens the link in a new tab
...and for those with only two buttons, pushing both at the same time usually emulates the third button. :wink:

Kowalski
06-20-2004, 11:46 AM
and for those who have more than 3 buttons, they can assing more functions.

Dave Beauvais
06-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Notice that the Firefox cursor is positioned OVER the text, not beside it.
I've noticed this on sites which change the appearance of form input elements using style sheets. Just a regular, unmodified input field doesn't seem to have this little "issue." I've also noticed that the Linux version of Firefox doesn't do this.