View Full Version : WM2003 Wifi Profiles?

mscdex
06-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Is there any way in Windows Mobile 2003, that you can set up wifi profiles? So that you can have multiple different IP/DNS/Gateway configurations on the PPC, and change to those settings by loading up the specific profile?

I find it a pain when I go from home to another place that has their network set up differently, then I have to go in there every time and put in the IP, netmask, dns servers, gateway, etc., etc. and it's very tiring.

Let me know if anyone out there knows of a solution. Thanks :)

WillyG
06-18-2004, 02:52 PM
All those can be assigned via DHCP, have you tried that? (doesnt help if your address att work is static, and you dont have controll over the accesspoint/somthing that can act as a DHCP server)

mscdex
06-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Well at home I have static IP's set up because that's how I like it, but when I'm at school, the wireless is setup through dhcp.

mscdex
08-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Anyone know of any software that can do this, so that I don't have to keep re-entering ip information every time I switch wireless setups?

nhromyak
08-03-2004, 05:22 PM
I would setup your device for DHCP, then at home you can reserve your DHCP address for your specific device to get the specific IP and information you want.

mscdex
08-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I would setup your device for DHCP, then at home you can reserve your DHCP address for your specific device to get the specific IP and information you want.

Ok, but what if I'm on a wifi connection that doesn't have DHCP turned on? And uses static only? That's the problem.

nhromyak
08-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Who doesn't run DHCP? Work? Little cafe's?

I don't know of any profile-type software that allows different IP configsfrom DHCP to Static. But if you need to setup a static IP for a cafe, if they charge, you're going to have to do something anyway....

mscdex
08-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Who doesn't run DHCP? Work? Little cafe's?

I don't know of any profile-type software that allows different IP configsfrom DHCP to Static. But if you need to setup a static IP for a cafe, if they charge, you're going to have to do something anyway....

I know lots of people that don't use DHCP. Schools, friends, work, me, etc.

bdavidson9554
08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Take a look at Kelbran Software's IP Manager. I used to use it when I was forced to use a static IP on my home wireless router because DHCP wouldn't work properly. I had a Home profile for static, a Work profile setup for DHCP.

http://www.kelbran.com/products/IPmgr.html

Brian

mscdex
08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Take a look at Kelbran Software's IP Manager. I used to use it when I was forced to use a static IP on my home wireless router because DHCP wouldn't work properly. I had a Home profile for static, a Work profile setup for DHCP.

http://www.kelbran.com/products/IPmgr.html

Brian

Thank You!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! This is perfect! Much thanks! :D

ToddJ
08-04-2004, 05:20 PM
is DHCP the same as a proxy?

nhromyak
08-04-2004, 05:50 PM
is DHCP the same as a proxy?

Different.

DHCP = Dynamic Host Control Protocol = assigns IP addresses to DHCP enabled clients

Proxy = proxies the Internet - caches web-pages so common webpages download faster as they are accessed again.

Or are you aksing if the user, who originally posted the question, is using DHCP or proxy?

ToddJ
08-04-2004, 06:30 PM
No...I am asking cause I am having the problem where at work I have to get on the internet via Proxy. I have to change it when I get to work, but would prefer to have it switch automatically.

mscdex
08-04-2004, 10:06 PM
No...I am asking cause I am having the problem where at work I have to get on the internet via Proxy. I have to change it when I get to work, but would prefer to have it switch automatically.

Well you cannot have it switch automatically, but that IP Manager program that was mentioned earlier in this thread will also let you set up profiles for proxy settings. So you could have a profile for home that has specific proxy settings and then a profile for work that has different proxy settings.