View Full Version : document conversion help

mwyner
06-18-2004, 01:54 AM
I've got a Dell Axim and run Activesync on my Windows XP box. At the school I teach at we use Macs. I've got a bunch of files in Excel and Filemaker Pro format on my Mac and figured "well heck, I'll just use Bluetooth to move them from my Mac to the PPC." Obviously that didn't work out the way I planned since neither file format got converted into the format that the corresponding PPC apps would recognize.

Is there a program that'll let me convert them so I still can use Bluetooth, or do I really need to move them to my Windows box first and just use Activesync?

Pony99CA
06-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I've got a Dell Axim and run Activesync on my Windows XP box. At the school I teach at we use Macs. I've got a bunch of files in Excel and Filemaker Pro format on my Mac and figured "well heck, I'll just use Bluetooth to move them from my Mac to the PPC." Obviously that didn't work out the way I planned since neither file format got converted into the format that the corresponding PPC apps would recognize.

Is there a program that'll let me convert them so I still can use Bluetooth, or do I really need to move them to my Windows box first and just use Activesync?
ActiveSync converts files from their desktop versions to their Pocket versions. If you transfer via Bluetooth from a Mac, that conversion isn't being done.

For spreadsheets, you might try exporting them as another format (CSV maybe) and seeing if Pocket Excel will open them.

However, what program do you think will open Filemaker files? The Pocket PC doesn't include any database applications. As I don't use a Mac, I don't know what Filemaker supports.

Steve

mwyner
06-18-2004, 08:18 AM
[/quote[However, what program do you think will open Filemaker files? [/quote]

Filemaker Pro mobile opens Filemaker Pro files.

Pony99CA
06-18-2004, 11:28 AM
However, what program do you think will open Filemaker files?
Filemaker Pro mobile opens Filemaker Pro files.
:lol: Yes, I suppose it would, but you didn't mention that you had it.

I'm a bit surprised that Filemaker Pro Mobile wouldn't open a Filemaker file without conversion. Does your version of ActiveSync show Filemaker Pro in the Information Type column or does Filemaker Pro show up in ActiveSync's conversion settings dialog?

Steve