View Full Version : A memory cleaning application

pocketman
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share this with you.

I got a new application from dinarsoft, it's called MemMaid for memory cleaning. (on handango)

it works great and found many garbage files and more interesting it found also over 400 duplicate notifications (from Pocket Plus). MemMaid was able to delete all of them and though my pda got a bit faster.

I learned from Brighthand forum that this was a bug in Pocket Plus and it is fixed already, so make sure you have the latest version.

it is really great to have an application helping you in finding other programs' problems.

drop
06-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Interesting. I wonder how good MemMaid is comparing to Remover.

Dermot81
06-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Remover has a new version too now, called SKTools with a lot more functionality.

I tried both, Memmaid looked good but somehow it cleaned out the list of installed apps when I go to the remove programs option in control panel.

I'm a big fan of remover and SKTools is just as good, so I'm gonna stick with that for now.

pocketman
06-18-2004, 01:59 AM
I just gave SKTools a try after you mentioned it.
but oh man, i'm glad i got Memmaid first.

The interface of SKTools needs a realy rework. things are not organized, while I see memmaid more clean and organized.

that's my opinion,.... anyone else tried both apps.?

and also i didn't have any problem in removing the uninstall data with memmaid, so i'm really sure what problems you got.

btw, how much memory do you think SKTools with size 900KB should remove from your pda!! memmaid is only 140KB

mrkablooey
07-15-2004, 01:56 AM
I bought MemMaid the other day after it helped me with a problem I was having. Was working on something a bit ago and MemMaid showed no problems (registry links, bad shortcuts, etc) for a partially uninstalled program.

Ran SKTools and it showed not only the stuff for the program I had manually uninstalled (deleting the directory) but also showed some stuff resident from a few other programs I had previously uninstalled (correctly using the remove programs option).

Now I'm tempted to buy SKTools as well.

(BTW, the program I uninstalled manually was FlexWallet 2005. I'm a 'tweaker' by nature and hard reset my PPC every few weeks of fiddling with it. I re-installed FW to my PPC main memory and realized I meant to put it on SD. Reinstalled to SD but guess I didn't get it out of main memory properly. Deleted the folder and all reference to that program was gone, even though it was still on SD. What I did to fix it was reinstall to the main memory, then uninstall. Reinstall to SD then uninstall. Then I ran MemMaid, which showed nothing, and SKTools for S&G's and it came up with the bad info that I promptly cleaned out.)

With the 15% Handango coupon* it's even more tempting.

*I'm a subscriber! :wink:

edit: MemMaid showed nothing for this particular instance, however it has cleared out some other things. I think it may be more of a memory reclaimer than a true "registry fixer" like SKTools seems to be. :?:

DinarSoft
07-15-2004, 02:37 AM
The option to delete left-over registry entries after uninstall was part of MemMaid 1.0
We found some problems with it so we disabled it (in MemMaid 1.1) untill we investigate it more
Now our investigation is almost over this option is going to be re-enabled in the next versions.

:)

Edit: Do you want to help beta testing this feature ? send us an EMail at [email protected]

ignar
07-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Another good program in this category is PocketMechanic. It can remove registry garbage, duplicate notifications, temp files in addition to storage maintenance features.

mrkablooey
07-15-2004, 10:53 AM
The option to delete left-over registry entries after uninstall was part of MemMaid 1.0
We found some problems with it so we disabled it (in MemMaid 1.1) untill we investigate it more
Now our investigation is almost over this option is going to be re-enabled in the next versions.

Thanks for the clarification! Something told me it was part of the program but couldn't figure out why it wasn't seeing it. SKTools also gave me some registry entries for programs that were still on the PPC, but I didn't let it delete those. That could have been bad. :wink:

I'll await the latest revision, and hold off on SKTools. :)

karinatwork
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I too am wondering which program for cleaning up some memory and processes I should buy. Any more input would be highly appreciated (the $ 5.00 gift certificate from Handango burns a hole in my pocket!).

K.

pocketman
07-19-2004, 06:23 PM
I too am wondering which program for cleaning up some memory and processes I should buy. Any more input would be highly appreciated (the $ 5.00 gift certificate from Handango burns a hole in my pocket!).

K.

I vote for MemMaid, I see they do upgrades and more features quickly.
I've been using it for sometime now and found it doing a great job.

Pssst, your son is very gorgeous :-)

karinatwork
07-19-2004, 07:19 PM
I vote for MemMaid, I see they do upgrades and more features quickly.
I've been using it for sometime now and found it doing a great job.

Thanks for your opinion!

Pssst, your son is very gorgeous :-)

Double thanks!

:)

ctmagnus
07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I thought DinarSoft (the makers of MemMaid) used to have a website. Am I mistaken?

baker
07-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't think they've had a website. MemMaid support/user manual is on the AximSite.

ctmagnus
07-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks! ;)

mrkablooey
07-19-2004, 11:31 PM
i can vouch for memmaid, it helped me with a big problem i had and i purchased it right away (the demo fixed my issue, they deserved the 7.99!) their support has been good and prompt answers to emails and forum posts make it a no-brainer. plus it integrates with handymenu, or is it handylauncher? :wink:

ctmagnus
07-20-2004, 03:50 AM
One thing to watch out for with MemMaid is setting custom file extensions to clean out. I set it to delete lpt files (ie, \Litpath.lpt, created by MS Reader whenever it launches if the file doesn't already exist) and it disabled my Pocket PC from syncing. I imagine it may just be that one extension though, as I was taught long ago to avoid using that extension in files due to parallel ports (what printers used to connect to) being referred to as LPT1, LPT2....

skewline
07-20-2004, 06:09 PM
i use pocket mechanic. it does lots of mechanics, including cleaning out duplicates. i'm happy with it.