View Full Version : Help me spend money on my PC

David Prahl
06-17-2004, 12:34 AM
I finally have some cash I can spend on upgrading my computer. Specs are listed above, please pick which component you think needs the most upgrading/replacing.

Thanks, guys!

OSUKid7
06-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Hard choice. Don't upgrade your HD if you don't need the space, although SATA would be nice (which would prolly require a new mobo, which means u might as well get a new CPU, case...yeah, that's my problem :lol:).

RAM could use a boast. I'm at 768 MB now, and it really does make a difference from 512.

Upgrade the GPU if you play a lot of games, but otherwise that should do just fine.

Cooling the system's always a good idea, but at the expense of sound.

So as I said...hard decision. Personally I'd go with the RAM. Get some high-end heatsinked RAM though.

Pat Logsdon
06-17-2004, 01:00 AM
I'd go with RAM, too. I've got 1GB Corsair paired DDR 400. It makes a difference. :)

I also just ran into a bit of cash and finally decided to try a SFF case. My Antec Aria (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001K3LF0/102-0296097-1949719?%5Fencoding=UTF8) is now on order; ~$100 from Amazon. Not very good reviews there, but good (http://www.whatpc.co.uk/Products/Hardware/1155518) stuff (http://reviews.pimprig.com/cases/antec_aria_micro_atx_cube_case.php)elsewhere. (http://reviews.pimprig.com/cases/antec_aria_micro_atx_cube_case.php)

dean_shan
06-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Get a new HD. The one you have is weak. 40GB is way to small for a Desktop. (This is your main computer I assume)

OSUKid7
06-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Get a new HD. The one you have is weak. 40GB is way to small for a Desktop. (This is your main computer I assume)
right, but if he hasn't filled 40 GB, what will 80 do for him? Nothing.

David Prahl
06-17-2004, 01:48 AM
right, but if he hasn't filled 40 GB, what will 80 do for him? Nothing.

I know 40 is nothing these days but I seem to be doing fine with it (so you're both right - a weak HD works for me!):lol: . Bought it because I got a really good deal.

Best Buy had 80 GB Seagate drives for only $40 two weeks ago. I REALLY should have bought one!

CTSLICK
06-17-2004, 05:53 AM
RAM rules baby, easy upgrade too and normally it pays off nicely.

surur
06-17-2004, 02:36 PM
What are you using your computer for? Have you got broadband? Im sure if 40Gb is sufficient, you may be underutilising your comps multimedia abilities :)

Surur

David Prahl
06-17-2004, 06:16 PM
What are you using your computer for? Have you got broadband? Im sure if 40Gb is sufficient, you may be underutilising your comps multimedia abilities :)

Surur

Some higher-end stuff. Intensive games, audio editing, programming, photography work, etc. Yes, I have cable and get about 2 Mbps. I'm not a big MP3 downloader or "moviez sharer", so it's mostly programs that take up space.

dean_shan
06-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Some higher-end stuff. Intensive games, audio editing, programming, photography work, etc. Yes, I have cable and get about 2 Mbps. I'm not a big MP3 downloader or "moviez sharer", so it's mostly programs that take up space.

Yeah but audio editing takes up a lot of space. Same with photos. I'd say get a new HD and then you don't need to worry about space.

substring
06-17-2004, 06:40 PM
I will change your configuration to:
1. 1GB memory (memory is important)
2. minimum 80GB for your C-drive (where the OS is installed). Most software must be installed on the drive where the OS is installed. And they can fill up the C-drive very fast. Currently, my software take up about half of my 80GB C-drive just to give you an example.
3. buy a 300+GB USB portable drive to store your multi-media files. You don't want to store them in your hard-drive because they get fill up very fast... yes, even a 80GB hard-drive.

Hope this helps.

Kowalski
06-18-2004, 12:00 AM
if it is not necessery to change, it is necessery not to change!
your system seems pretty good. why dont you go for some peripherals?

David Prahl
06-18-2004, 12:21 AM
your system seems pretty good. why dont you go for some peripherals?

Any suggestions? I tried to think of more options for the poll but just couldn't "think outside the box" (get it?).

Falstaff
06-18-2004, 01:16 AM

If you're a serious gamer, and like many others out there are waiting for the next generation games to come out late this summer/fall (i.e. HL2, DOOM3), then I'd go for the new video card, becuase I don't think either of those games, or the new Unreal engine previewed at E3, will run on a 9200 (is it a Pro?). If you want to go that route though, I'd suggest you hold off, you can get a 9800 Pro pretty cheap right now, but I think I'm going to wait for the X800 price to drop (I have a 9500 Pro now, and am partial to ATI). If you're not a gamer, I'd say upgrade your HDD or install Linux, I just did the latter a couple weeks ago (though I still have trouble installing apps :( ), just my opinion.

milkman dan
06-19-2004, 01:12 AM
damn, I cast my vote before realizeing you were using a crusty 9200 for games. get a 9800pro 128meg, they are dirt cheap and WONDERFULL vid cards. When I whent from my 4200 to my 9800. I hadn't enjoyed a performance boost like that since I whent from a 2meg trident to a 64meg rage furry maxx (which were bloody amazing cards at the time :D