View Full Version : H2215 Voice Record function - need help

Perk
06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I finally broke down and replaced my aging H3835 and am glad in many ways. However, there are a few things that I'll have to workout on the new model.

After so many years, I finaly got to using the voice recorder (while driving). :?

Well, there's no recorder button on this machine and I'm using all four assignable buttons on a daily basis.

Does anyone know how to get the "Record" to show up on the menu?

jgrnt1
06-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Recording is done through the Notes program. You can create a shortcut to Notes.exe in your Start Menu directory. It will bring up a blank notes page, with a cassette icon at the bottom. Clicking the icon will bring up the recorder on the notes page. To start recording, tap the red dot.

To create the shortcut, use ActiveSync's Explore on your PC (notes.exe doesn't show up in File Explorer or Resco on the PPC). Go to the Windows folder, find the Notes.exe file, right-click on it and choose "Create Shortcut". Scroll down to find the shortcut, named "Shortcut to Notes.exe" (it should be the last file in the folder). Drag it back up to the Start Menu folder. Your iPAQ should now show the shortcut in the Start Menu. If you want, rename it to something shorter.

I know this is not an elegant solution, but I think this is the only way to get it in the menu. Anyone have any other ideas? I believe Recorder is actually Hotvoice.exe, but it does not seem to run on its own, only from within Notes. I can create a shortcut to Hotvoice, put it in the Start Menu and run it, but nothing seems to happen, other than the recorder icon appearing in the recently used program icons across the top of the menu.

One other possibility is to use a button mapping program. I have never used one, but I believe some will allow you to assign multiple apps to a single button.

Kowalski
06-16-2004, 10:58 PM
if you are using the standart voice recorder function, i suggest you to use noteM, which records voices in mp3 format thus reducing the file size.
this way you can put the program in the start menu.

Perk
06-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm familiar with notes and was looking for just "Recorder" which shows up under button maping, but not under menu options.

The mp3 program sounds great. Have you used it? Got a link?

Thanks,
Mike

Kowalski
06-18-2004, 12:06 AM
http://www.freewareppc.com/multimedia/notem.shtml
i use this program frequently. there may be better ones, but this does the job for me and i like the simplicity of the program.

noworries
06-21-2004, 06:46 PM
When using this software...were you able to turn the screen off? To save power. I need to record a class/training. Thanks.

tRiBaLmUnKy
06-22-2004, 02:56 AM
as an option you could use battery pack pro and use the power button's feature to add 4 more buttons by simply holding down the button instead of tapping it and assign recording to it, though it's not a free solution

Kowalski
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
When using this software...were you able to turn the screen off
yes there is a button in the toolbar for what you ask