View Full Version : First ever mobile phone virus found

JackTheTripper
06-16-2004, 02:56 AM
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9860240%255E2,00.html

OSUKid7
06-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Uses bluetooth...well, here's a tip - turn on encryption. ;)

Jack - nice avatar btw. :lol:

buckyg
06-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Great... Looks like sometime down the road soon, maybe we'll have to look into using an antivirus for mobile devices. Yeah, I know it's just starting.

Just thinking out loud: With a "convergent" type phone, like a Smartphone or PPC Phone Edition, it is more complicated machine but you could install some sort of protection fairly easily, I would think. I'm wondering about a "regular" mobile phone. Those keep getting more complicated, more features, etc. (I'm not sure where they will really stop being just a "regular" mobile phone vs. a PDA.) If those were to become likely targets, would we have to rely on the manufacturers and/or service providers to give us updates to the phone for protection?

It's too early in the morning now for me to be thinking though...

Kowalski
06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
i always appriciate this kind of people: they find the weak points of the system. this helps developers to improve their work. dont they???

David Prahl
06-17-2004, 12:36 AM
But how many people use a Symbian-based phone and leave BT on? I'm guessing the chances of it spreading are next to zero.

If this had been coded to spread over regular consumer phones we'd be screwed. That is possible, and that day will come. :worried: