View Full Version : Yahoo Mail Team

cyclwestks
06-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Noticed I couldn't get into Yahoo this morning, now my email account has been updated to 100 MB.

Does this mean we're getting ready for the Yahoo - GMail email war?

PPCRules
06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
That's it. Yahoo announced the upgrade about a week after the big Gmail announcement.

PresBry
06-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah, they bumped me up to 2Gigs. (I was paying $20 per year for 100 megs) I'm still jumping ship for G-Mail at the first chance I get.

Kowalski
06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
i cant belive my eyes this is true.
i had the standart 6 mb option for 4 years and now i have 100 megs!
i cant imagine how can i fill this much area

Stephen Beesley
06-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Just checked my Yahoo.com.au account and it also has been upped to 100mb - even better I can still access this through POP3 and pocket Inbox!

Ohhh Happy days! :D

rzanology
06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
hey steven, ya mind helping me out with the yahoo and pop3 thing? I still didnt get that to work as yet. I got the aol to work though :). I just noticed the ppc inbox is nice, so im trying to use it.

Stephen Beesley
06-16-2004, 04:14 PM
hey steven, ya mind helping me out with the yahoo and pop3 thing? I still didnt get that to work as yet. I got the aol to work though :). I just noticed the ppc inbox is nice, so im trying to use it.

As far as I know this only seems to work with Yahoo accounts on other than straight Yahoo.com. For example. I have a Yahoo.com.au account which can be accessed using:

pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au

Yahoo.co.uk accounts can be accessed using:

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

I believe this might also work with Yahoo.ca accounts using the same logic for server addressess. Not sure what other Yahoo account types there are but the only one I know for sure that POP3 access no longer works with is the plain Yahoo.com.

HTH

rzanology
06-16-2004, 04:47 PM
okayz...thanks!

jali-p5
06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
for those of you who have been upgraded to the 100MB and want to be able to download your emails to your computer at home, you might want to give YahooPOPs! a try, it's free and works great!! the author recently released v0.6 which incorporates a lot of the patches that have been out there, so it should work on everyone's PC

http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

OSUKid7
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
I have gmail but would love to be able to use it with Outlook (and therefore my Pocket PC). If that happens I will definitely switch all of my email to gmail. For now I'm just playing around with it.

daves
06-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Does it bother anyone that gmail specifically states they will search your email for keywords?

and besides, I don't know how I will fill up 100 megs, let alone a gigabyte.

someone told me google would pay you to use their email. :?:

Kowalski
06-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Does it bother anyone that gmail specifically states they will search your email for keywords
they will only search for keywords. this doesnt make any sense as long as someone reads your mails. instead of machines.

drowe
06-17-2004, 12:58 AM
The info I've read says they will search your e-mail for keywords and then ADD "targeted" advertisements to your mail. Plus they do not delete ANY of your mail. So, 10 years from now, as part of the NEW Patriot act, Gmail gets the request from a prospective employer and finds that you were a radical liberal in '04..... Or during that nasty divorce, your wife's lawyer supoenas their records to see if you sent mail that hints at an affair. Once the data is collected, what is done with it is totally up to whatever is "politically feasible" at any time. You can't even use it as a throw away account since the fact that you once logged into an "alternative lifestyle" forum is there for the world to see.... That is just way too much of my personal data residing in one place!!!! At least now the mail is deleted (according to the statements from Yahoo, MSN, etc.) and won't be around in 10, 20, 50 years to bite me.

bnycastro
06-17-2004, 01:32 AM
hmmm... most of my friends, my brother and sisters have been upgrade to 100mb and yet my yahoo mail is still at 4MB? don't know why I didn't get the upgrade although I can't even fill the 4MB; I just feel left out :(

Thinkingmandavid
06-18-2004, 01:58 AM
bnycastro wrote:
hmmm... most of my friends, my brother and sisters have been upgrade to 100mb and yet my yahoo mail is still at 4MB? don't know why I didn't get the upgrade although I can't even fill the 4MB; I just feel left out

I would contact yahoo and find out why. I was glad to see mine with 100 megs but I am not sure how I am going to fill mine up as well. I have used hotmail as my main email account for some years, so changing to yahoo does have some benefits. If I can download it to office 2003 then I I do not mind using it as my main account because of the storage:)

I was thinking about buying more storage for a time period but just could not justify the amount of money they wanted for 100 megs. I felt it was over priced.

serpico
06-18-2004, 03:03 PM
I do have Yahoo Mail Plus and Outlook 2003 working really good. I got my 2G limit issued to me on the same day, end of day. My wife has the free account and it got changed to 100mb free. I like the new interface and those damn ads are gone! I work in an office full of women, so having those Victoria Secret ads or couple ads pop up was no acceptable! At least not at work! :lol:

Zack Mahdavi
06-19-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm glad that Yahoo is upgrading its users to 100MB. I'm hoping Hotmail will do the same, although I think people will just end up with more junk mail taking up more space... :(

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
The info I've read says they will search your e-mail for keywords and then ADD "targeted" advertisements to your mail. Plus they do not delete ANY of your mail.
They do not add targeted ads, but rather they highlight them on the side in place of banner ads. They're much less intrusive and generally more useful.

Also, the delete aspect has changed; you can now delete mail after feedback from customers. So your point there is moot. ;)

--janak