View Full Version : Should We Post About Vaporware?

Brad Adrian
06-13-2004, 10:00 AM
I just put up a post about some software that is not yet available; in fact, the developer's Web site gives no indication of when it will be launched. It made me stop and wonder if that's the way I should do things.<br /><br />What do you think? Do you want us to go ahead and let you know about yet-to-be-released software, on the risk that it may turn out to be nothing more than vaporware? Or, do you prefer that we make sure an application has truly seen the light of day before we post about it?

jayveef
06-13-2004, 10:36 AM
here's the thing, i experience the same problems when i post hardware / software that is not yet available for our local tech magazine. we'd get phone calls from Palm for instance when we announced the Treo 600 in our magazine under a "pipeline" section months before the press release.

they would tell us that though they appreciate our excitement, posting vaporware or unnanounced stuff may caue market doubt on their current products. for instance, when we announced the treo 600, some consumers may hold onto their money which they were supposed to use to buy a Nokia communicator or a T|W.

but this was in a mag, not an online forum. its harder to filter info from the net. whaddaya think? :devilboy:

our mag can be located at www.m-ph.com. It's a local mobile tech mag in the Philippines called Mobile Pilipinas (m|ph).

ricksfiona
06-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, I think possible vaporware should be posted. It could spur other ideas..

Ed Hansberry
06-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I like the posts. If they don't release the software, it gives us something to complain about.

BTW, I voted that I filter out your posts too. :rotfl:

Theo
06-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Post it and label it as possible vapourware - those that don't want to see them can then filter the posts out.

bjornkeizers
06-13-2004, 02:08 PM
I like to hear about upcoming software and hardware. Within reason, that is. I don't want to hear that *some* company *might* start work on *some* piece of software that will be released *somewhere this decade* - let's stick to established companys or really interesting new concepts (the laser keyboard and such)

mscdex
06-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Isn't the 3rd voting option redundant? If they're filtering out your posts, they would never see the poll :lol:

foldedspace
06-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Isn't it all technically 'vaporware' until I can actually purchase it?

:lol:

Jonathan1
06-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes. I want to know about evenrything even if its purely a rumor or even vaporware. Look at the OQO is been tagged vw for how long now? If everyone had ignored it we wouldn't have known squat about the system before it was released. (Hopefully this summer) :roll: I frequent rumor sites such as thedigitalbits.com and macrumors.com not because I'm looking for facts. Facts only give you what's here and NOW. I'm looking to see what "could" be just over the hill. You don't have to be perfect as long as anything you report on is labled rumor\vaporware.

JvanEkris
06-13-2004, 10:19 PM
On the other hand, if the OGO proves to be impossible to implement, you have wasted a lot of time and got a lot of people impatient.....

Jaap

farnold
06-13-2004, 11:08 PM
A very clear NO from me. I think you have got more than enough serious news to report... what do you gain with positing something that is just at an intentional state... are you that desperate?

Gremmie
06-14-2004, 12:58 AM
The fun part about technology is whats tomorrow, not today. Holding back on this stuff is like signing an NDA, by the time you post about it, everyone is oogoling over it at Brighthand.

Kevin Daly
06-14-2004, 02:29 AM
We're all adults here (if only figuratively, whatever that might mean) and can make our own minds up.
PLUS (and it's a big plus, which is why I put it in annoying capitals) there's always the possibility that people will make comments that the developers may actually find to be useful input, should there be any possibility that the products in question will ever see the light of day.
Although a "Vapourware" icon attached to such items might not be a bad idea, along with the option to filter them out.
But I might be getting a bit fussy there.

IpaqMan2
06-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Well....

My thoughts are....

What is News..if it's not about things that happened.. Things that are happening, and things that will and or are planned to happen?

I think Vaporware is fine if it is being planned or a developer is discussing it.. Or even if it's being discussed openly as a possible "what if"....
But let there be some legitimacy to the topic and not so far out in farytale land.

My thoughts...

Pony99CA
06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
I like to hear about upcoming software and hardware. Within reason, that is. I don't want to hear that *some* company *might* start work on *some* piece of software that will be released *somewhere this decade* - let's stick to established companys or really interesting new concepts (the laser keyboard and such)
I agree with Bjorn. While I do want to know about things that might be coming (like the Leonard Maltin guide that I assume spurred this poll), use some editorial judgement (not that you don't already :-D).

For example, if the product is from an established vendor, let us know about it. If the product sounds possible and very cool, let us know about it. If the product has a public alpha or beta release, let us know about it.

However, if the product is from some company you've never heard of and the product is a me-too product (another version of Tetris :roll:) or sounds almost impossible (holographic virtual reality on your Pocket PC), wait until later.

As others have, I would support putting vaporware in a new "rumor" category for home page news. You could argue that it could fit in the news category, but I would prefer that it be kept separate from news.

Steve

DubWireless
06-14-2004, 11:18 AM
i'm with those that would like to hear about potential / future releases, but definately with a 'health warning' stating what stage of development it is in...

perhaps a new section called 'Future' then people can filter out that section if the don't want to know, at least for those subscribing

Brad Adrian
06-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Post it and label it as possible vapourware - those that don't want to see them can then filter the posts out.
Good idea, but we don't always know whether an application isn't going to meet its hype. So far, I've pretty much simply not posted on anything that hasn't been released, choosing to err on the side of caution.

So, maybe we'll just go ahead and post on everything, and then once we get a hint that something is vaporware, we could post an update.

Brad Adrian
06-15-2004, 04:11 AM
Although a "Vapourware" icon attached to such items might not be a bad idea, along with the option to filter them out.
I was thinking about the same thing, or at least some indication -- icon or in the text -- that the product is not yet available.

Kati Compton
06-15-2004, 04:52 AM
I was thinking about the same thing, or at least some indication -- icon or in the text -- that the product is not yet available.
I liked Pony's idea of "Rumor" better. I mean, Vaporware has such negative connotations. We don't want to peg something as such before it is. ;)

Really, a product isn't Vaporware until it isn't released on schedule (and probably repeatedly so). Before that it's simply "unreleased".

So "Rumor" seems both less unflattering and more accurate.

Pony99CA
06-15-2004, 05:37 AM
I liked Pony's idea of "Rumor" better. I mean, Vaporware has such negative connotations. We don't want to peg something as such before it is. ;)

Really, a product isn't Vaporware until it isn't released on schedule (and probably repeatedly so). Before that it's simply "unreleased".

So "Rumor" seems both less unflattering and more accurate.
Plus "Rumor" can apply in other situations (Rumor: Brad Adrian To Give Up ScottEVest!). :lol:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Rumor: Brad Adrian To Give Up ScottEVest! :lol:

Now that would be something from fairytale land! :lol: :wink:

I agree, I would post it as rumor, I wouldn't want to jump out and call something vaporware until that has proven to be the case! Incorrect labeling by a site such as this, could cause problems(and maybe a little embarrassment) for everyone involved! Just my .02!

Steve