View Full Version : Axim X30, something else, or wait?

Skoobouy
06-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, as you can see from my sig, I'm in PPC hell (which is to say, I don't have one). So, I need some advice. I already have an IR keyboard and a 256MB Sandisk card, and loads of PPC software licenses.

Now, really, I'm very easy to please; my last one was an iPaq 1930 and I was happy as a clam. But you know, I'm thinking that I want to go all-out this time. VGA would be nice but is not a huge priority, since I have PIE Plus and that works very well for pleasant Web browsing. Truth is, the best PPC I could have would be the one best able to take advantage Morphgear and FPSce (PSX emulation) developments. Towards that end, the Axim X30 with an extended battery looks like it's just the ticket.

OTOH, there's lots of devices in the wing. I'm sure that the new VGA Asus MyPal will have incredible performance. What's in store for the iPaq 4100 replacement?

I don't want the Toshiba models--too wide and bad buttons.

Kowalski
06-12-2004, 05:46 PM
yes the new outcoming asus will be very fast for sure but i dont think it will beat x30, at least they will be equal in performance. i may be wrong but the new asus will probably run a 512 mHz cpu
if you have to run emulators in mind i dont see a better choice then these two

serpico
06-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm going through the same thing, can't decide b/w HP4150 and X30. I almost bought the HP last night, but forced myself to think about it overnight and talk to the guys here.

Price is cheaper on the Dell and I would save almost $200CDN even after taxes. But I love the size and weight of the HP, it was perfect in my hand. I wish I could find photos of a X30 in someone's hand to give me a better perspective. Dell selling this only online really makes it harder for me to decide. I'm not sure if $200 is worth it just to get the HP.

Good luck to you too, hope you find something to satisfy that craving! :D

Kowalski
06-12-2004, 07:58 PM
x30 has the same casing as axim x3. i think you can easlily find photos for x3. and just a thought: dell is far better than hp with a lower price

Fishie
06-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Hey Skouboy, ya still in Belgium?

I noticed a severe drop in performance with my Toshiba when I upgraded(?)it to second edition.
GAPI is broken so a lot of emu´s work worse under it then they do on regular Windows Mobile, same deal with the Axim´s and I assume the ASUS.

What happened with your 1930?

Lets hope MS provides an update fast so games get full potential again.

milkman dan
06-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I use my PPC for emulators and mp3's primarly, and I am pretty happy with my 2215. I am probably goign to pick up an x30, but I want to see some real life benchmarks for emulators/ports before I decide. If you get one, PLEASE send me an email, and we can run the same emulators/games and post some benchmarks for all too see :D I don't really feel like picking up an x30 if I won't even notie a difference from my 2215

serpico
06-13-2004, 05:09 AM
x30 has the same casing as axim x3. i think you can easlily find photos for x3. and just a thought: dell is far better than hp with a lower price

Thanks for the reply. I actually went back to the retail store tonight to test out the HP4150 again and they were all sold out, even the demo. So I think it was a sign, that I should buy the Dell and save $200.

All the signs point to Dell... :lol:

Kowalski
06-13-2004, 09:11 AM
you should be quick, because in a couple of weeks, the signs will start to show asus a730. hurry up or you'll be pocketpc less forever :lol:

Skoobouy
06-13-2004, 10:34 AM

I noticed a severe drop in performance with my Toshiba when I upgraded(?)it to second edition.
GAPI is broken so a lot of emu´s work worse under it then they do on regular Windows Mobile, same deal with the Axim´s and I assume the ASUS.

Yep, haven't moved. This (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28335) happened to my 1930.

Is that true about GAPI? I thought people were having grand success emulating the SNES on it, at very high framerates--at least, according to a guy on the FPSce forums.

Fishie
06-13-2004, 11:04 AM

Yep, haven't moved. This (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28335) happened to my 1930.

Is that true about GAPI? I thought people were having grand success emulating the SNES on it, at very high framerates--at least, according to a guy on the FPSce forums.

I could already play SNES games at 30fps on my Toshiba e800 in standard speed, since SE I have to overclock the device to get the same framerate.

Some games and emu´s are affected some are not.

Even clocked at 520MHZ Diamond MineBejeweled doesnt run at full speed, something it used to do even at 200MHz before Second edition.

Warfare on the other hand is totaly unafected.

Oh and Skoo, we should meet up one of these days.

Skoobouy
06-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Here's a post from PocketMatrix on Morphgear:

Well my X30 arrived today. Im actually typing this on it now. After i charged the unit, i immediately installed Morphgear and tested the unit on some of the tough games that were very slow on my A620bt. Namely gba stuff like FFTA and some of the more complex snes stuff like Star Ocean, SD3, & Chronotrigger. I can definitively say that while it's a little bit faster than my 520 overclocked A620 for gba stuff, it's a SNES player's dream. As just about every snes game i threw at it was running almost full speed @ 1 frameskip with SOUND! Unbelievable native speed this machine has. When someone writes an overclocking hack for this machine, it will be a gameplayer's heaven. Sorta...there is a caveat for game players. The directional pad is step backwards from the A620.

Source: http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16956

Fishie
06-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Here's a post from PocketMatrix on Morphgear:

Well my X30 arrived today. Im actually typing this on it now. After i charged the unit, i immediately installed Morphgear and tested the unit on some of the tough games that were very slow on my A620bt. Namely gba stuff like FFTA and some of the more complex snes stuff like Star Ocean, SD3, & Chronotrigger. I can definitively say that while it's a little bit faster than my 520 overclocked A620 for gba stuff, it's a SNES player's dream. As just about every snes game i threw at it was running almost full speed @ 1 frameskip with SOUND! Unbelievable native speed this machine has. When someone writes an overclocking hack for this machine, it will be a gameplayer's heaven. Sorta...there is a caveat for game players. The directional pad is step backwards from the A620.

Source: http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16956

Cool, ill wait for the Asus or Toshiba´s next machine myself though.

Cant go back from VGA.