View Full Version : What bluetooth dongle do you recommend?

kosmicki
06-12-2004, 07:43 AM
I will be getting my first PPC, iPaq 2215 sometime next month I estimate. I want to get a usb bluetooth dongle to go along with it, as it is cheapest for wireless short range. What brands and models would you recommend?

I use Windows XP Professional and I want a Class I (one) device, for the best range.

There are a plethora of reviews and dongles (I love that word) out there but I still think the best advice is from people who actually use the things on a daily basis.

Oh, also I will be using it on a long (8 foot or so) USB cable extension in order to have it near the hallway, so I can get a signal in the living room. Not sure if this would affect your recommendation.

Thanks!

DubWireless
06-15-2004, 12:06 AM
have found TDK (Go Blue) (http://www.tdksystems.com/products/range.asp?id=1) to be one of the best as regards quality and support (got my first adapter from them around 2.5 years ago and it's still going strong having been kept up-to-date with firmware and frequent software updates), found Belkin (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=200583) are also pretty good

check you are purchasing the more recent versions of the hardware though as there are older versions (usually cheaper) about

Sven Johannsen
06-15-2004, 03:50 PM
You realize the range is going to be defined more by the 2215 than the PC dongle.

I have a Linksys and a Billionton. Both work fine and are easy to configure. Read, have decent software. I had an Ambicom originally and it about put me off BT alltogether.

The USB extension will be an independent purchase and will work with whatever you choose. The two I got came with short extensions, maybe a foot or two.

kosmicki
06-18-2004, 06:23 AM
You realize the range is going to be defined more by the 2215 than the PC dongle.

Yep, they are cheap class II ones in the 2200. (Why did ya skimp HP? why?!)

But I figure the extra few bucks for a class I would help with range slightly. I would consider getting that SDIO WiFi + 256MB but it would run me about $140 more then a BT adapter, as I would need to get a wireless nic for my desktop also.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the prices on all those.