View Full Version : Pocket Internet Explorer problems

kawynns
06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
I am new here and just got a SanDisk Wi-Fi card for my Pocket PC 2003. My problem is with the Pocket Internet Explorer. I can access most sites except the most important one to my family. We are homeschoolers and my teacher's guide is online. When I get to the login page it is extremely small. When I zoom in I only get a corner, which I can type it but would be hard to read. When I type in the username and password, the characters are not the ones I type, I am going by letter shape. I can not actually see the letters, but I get an error message that says, that I have entered the wrong password. I am guessing on the exact error message, by the word shapes on the corner I see. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I am new here and just got a SanDisk Wi-Fi card for my Pocket PC 2003. My problem is with the Pocket Internet Explorer. I can access most sites except the most important one to my family. We are homeschoolers and my teacher's guide is online. When I get to the login page it is extremely small. When I zoom in I only get a corner, which I can type it but would be hard to read. When I type in the username and password, the characters are not the ones I type, I am going by letter shape. I can not actually see the letters, but I get an error message that says, that I have entered the wrong password. I am guessing on the exact error message, by the word shapes on the corner I see. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
How big is this Web page that you can't read it? And how are you "zooming"? Turning off the Fit to Screen option?

When you're asking for remote technical support, it's always best to tell us exactly what you're doing using the same terms you see on screen. Also, while it won't likely matter, you should tell us the make and model of your Pocket PC. All you've told us is that it's running Windows Mobile 2003.

Also, if you gave us the URL to the teacher's guide, we might be able to actually see what's happening.

Steve

kawynns
06-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Thank you for your response. I am using Yakumo Delta 300. I am located in Germany and bought it as part of a navigation system and decided to extent its uses. The Operating System is in German, so I am a little blind, because I don't speak German. So if you can give me visual directions, I will do better. i.e. go to the left most tab on the bottom of the screen, click on the 2nd choice from the top. Sorry.
The site I start from is www.k12.com. The login screen is www.online.k12.com/login.

I have already disabled "fit to screen size" - the left most bottom tab, 2nd choice from the top. No change.

When I do zoom, I just hold the stylus on one corner of the 1" screen shot and select zoom in when the menu appears.

I hope this helps you help me.

Kimberly

surur
06-09-2004, 01:02 PM
PIE is cr*p.

As a simpler techinical solution, if you are willing to spend some money (and you should, as it sounds as if you will be using the browser quite intensively) is to try Netfront 3.1 (http://www.handango.com//PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=33EXBE3CFF4E291X1CA94E8D3A15B619&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=92934&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=netfront), an alternate browser which is much more up to spec. It really makes the internet experience comparable to a desktop experience.

Surur

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Thank you for your response. I am using Yakumo Delta 300. I am located in Germany and bought it as part of a navigation system and decided to extent its uses. The Operating System is in German, so I am a little blind, because I don't speak German. So if you can give me visual directions, I will do better. i.e. go to the left most tab on the bottom of the screen, click on the 2nd choice from the top. Sorry.
The site I start from is www.k12.com. The login screen is www.online.k12.com/login.

I have already disabled "fit to screen size" - the left most bottom tab, 2nd choice from the top. No change.

When I do zoom, I just hold the stylus on one corner of the 1" screen shot and select zoom in when the menu appears.

I hope this helps you help me.
I'm afraid it doesn't. :-( The login dialog appears to be written in Macromedia Flash. I don't know why the Flash page appears so small in Pocket IE, but it doesn't seem like there's much you can do. I even tried using a registry hack to change the browser reported to the Web site, but the Flash screen was still shown way too small. I don't know if another browser would work any better, either.

Note that you probably can position your cursor in the entry fields and type the name and password in using the keyboard, then hit the little blue button to log in, but I don't know what the rest of the site will look like.

The thing that I would suggest is contacting the site's technical support and telling them you have a browser that doesn't support Flash and you need a basic HMTL login page. It might work if the login dialog uses Javascript, but pure HTML would be better.

Steve

kawynns
06-09-2004, 09:07 PM
I have downloaded netfront v3.1 and still can't get access to my login screen, but it is a better blank screen to look at.

I have Macromedia Flash loaded on my pda.

I will contact K12 and see if they can offer any suggestions. I will let you know if I get it working, or not.

If there are any other suggestions, please let me know.

Kimberly