View Full Version : future shop is replacing my ipaq since its past 61 days in repair

alexredman
06-09-2004, 11:10 AM
my question is.. i currently have a 3870 i bought day 1 they went on sale for approx 1200$ cdn. im sure you guys know the features it has, and that is why i chose the unit. i use it for business, mp3, and emus.

now future shop says in 2 weeks they will have an excuse to replace it with a unit of equal or lesser value. but it has depreciated.

what unit should i accept in exchange as a MINIMUM to replace the 3870 i paid top dollar for? you advice is well appreciated

i NEED THEM TO GIVE ME AT LEAST (what i got with my 3870) outlook, excel, word, 206mhz arm, 64mb ram, color screen, sd card, bluetooth and a 3.5 headphone jack.

help! email me or msg me at [email protected]

thanks!

Fishie
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
my question is.. i currently have a 3870 i bought day 1 they went on sale for approx 1200$ cdn. im sure you guys know the features it has, and that is why i chose the unit. i use it for business, mp3, and emus.

now future shop says in 2 weeks they will have an excuse to replace it with a unit of equal or lesser value. but it has depreciated.

what unit should i accept in exchange as a MINIMUM to replace the 3870 i paid top dollar for? you advice is well appreciated

i NEED THEM TO GIVE ME AT LEAST (what i got with my 3870) outlook, excel, word, 206mhz arm, 64mb ram, color screen, sd card, bluetooth and a 3.5 headphone jack.

thanks!

Hmm depends if you use the Ipaq expansion packs really.

If you do and have CF peripherals try to get a Ipaq 2215 or something, if not just about everything out there these days beats out the 3870 in speed and featureset is more or less the same acros the board.

I dunno even an Ipaq 1935 or toshiba e400 would be better then what you are used to.

Fishie
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Oops, just saw the bleutooth thing, now that limits your options quite a bit then.

Ipaq 1945 id say.

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 12:23 PM

thanks!
Hmm depends if you use the Ipaq expansion packs really.
Actually, it really depends on how much "equal value" is after "depreciation", and if Alex is willing to pay anything additional. :-D

The best replacment for the iPAQ 3870 would be a refurbished iPAQ 3870. If they can't get those, an iPAQ 3970 would be a step up.

If expansion sleeves aren't necessary, maybe a Dell X30 312 MHz.

Steve

alexredman
06-29-2004, 02:30 PM
I got tired of waiting and went in a few days early to see what I could do about getting this "exchange" done with. Originally I had bought the 3870 for 1200$ including tax and some accessories (first week it came out). My extended future shop 2 year warranty ended on June 24th, so even tho the 3870 was submitted for repair in mid-May, I wasnt taking any chances that they would shaft me.

My 3870 has had the following problems for at least 6 months:

pooped-out stylus lock (just a defect i guess)
itask button permanently pushed in (emulators+kid)
headphone jack (push and pull made it useless)
power adapter (broken plastic, still operational)

I use the unit a lot so I didnt get around to fixing it sooner...

So, I phoned first to check a few things so they couldnt rip me off.

1) 2210 in stock?
2) is my file open and updated?
3) when can I get my new ipaq?

LOL! So all was ok, I headed down. At first some VERY PMSy counter girl wanted to make me jump through hoops.. but the manager told her "he's had enough problems! you do the paperwork, and he'll go choose his ipaq." which was a relief to say the least.

They had 1940, 2210, 4150 in stock. The guy at the counter was prepared and assumed I would take a 4150, had a box ready for me.

Here's the thing tho. I invested in SD and Bluetooth technology and wanted to keep use of it without investing in new hardware. The 4150 just does NOT fulfill me needs, so I asked him for a 2210. I must admit I got a little grief from him over that choice, he looked very suprised and the manager also was looking at me strange for not taking the most expensive item i guess but what can I say its just not what I need.

Anyhow in the end I got my new 2210 (perfect except for 1 bad pixel, which is stuck on BLUE somewhere in the middle upper right section of the display)... no future shop warranty (since mine ended June 24th), but I assume since it is new I have one year with HP.

So in the end, with a little hardcoring, I managed to get futureshop to exchange my 2 year old damaged 3870 for a new 2210. COOL!

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

Pony99CA
06-29-2004, 02:46 PM
They had 1940, 2210, 4150 in stock. The guy at the counter was prepared and assumed I would take a 4150, had a box ready for me.

Here's the thing tho. I invested in SD and Bluetooth technology and wanted to keep use of it without investing in new hardware. The 4150 just does NOT fulfill me needs, so I asked him for a 2210.
The 4150 has SD and Bluetooth, so what doesn't fulfill your needs? Did you mean Compact Flash instead of SD? That would certainly make a lot of sense, because the 4150 doesn't have CF support.

Anyway, it's good that you got your 3870 replaced.

Steve

alexredman
06-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I most definately want CF... those 1GB CF drives make a PPC something special nowadays... not to mention when I start using WIFI i can use one OR the other as storage while using an SD or CF WIFI card :)

I am SO happy with the 2210 :)

thanks!

alexredman
07-08-2004, 07:15 AM
just a few days after and the rubber coating started to separate from the plastic side grips. i found documentation on the web about the issue, including the part # for the replacement plastics kit.

hp is sending one, said it could be 24-48 hrs but also say its listed currently on backorder. for now i have taken off all the rubber coating and have plain plastic sidegrips with no texturization. a little bit fidgety so i am being extra careful until they arrive.

Dazbot
07-10-2004, 01:28 AM
The 4150 has Bluetooth and WIFI built in the 2210 only has Bluetooth.

1GB SD cards are already available and are far more battery efficient than micro drives.

The only reason to have the 2210 is if you have CF cards. I already had a 256MB and WIFI card from my 3850 and CF plus pack.

BTW The new grips probably won't last long, I had to replace mine after a few months with ones from PPC Techs that screw on, although they are much better than the orginal ones.

Pony99CA
07-10-2004, 06:33 PM
The 4150 has Bluetooth and WIFI built in the 2210 only has Bluetooth.

1GB SD cards are already available and are far more battery efficient than micro drives.

The only reason to have the 2210 is if you have CF cards.
Or if you want Compact Flash cards. While 1 GB SD cards are available, they're still much more expensive than 1 GB CF cards. For example, I've seen a Viking 1 GB CF card available for as low as $106 (after rebate); 1 GB SD cards still seem to be at $230 or more.

Also, there are CF cards larger than 1 GB available, which isn't true for SD yet (I don't think). You can get a 2 GB CF card for under $300, not much more than a 1 GB SD card. You can also get a 4 GB CF card, but the $700+ price might scare you away. :-)

Steve