View Full Version : 5450 with 2003 POS> 3rd Spontaneous Hard Reset

chapter
06-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Purchased Dec 12, 2002 w/2year carepaq/accidental damage..
New Danish Battery February 2003
Replaced entire device March 2003
Upgrade to Windows PPC2003

3 hard resets.... always when you least expect it... NEVER DEPEND ON THESE Devices.

VERY poor hardware implementation if you ask me. Never again will I buy an HP.

POS.

I am buying either an integrated Motorola Device or a Treo next time.

OSUKid7
06-09-2004, 02:24 AM
o.....k..........
thanks for posting :twisted:

jimski
06-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Are you sure it's not any third part software you may be running? I have had my 5450 since December 2002, and experienced several unexplained hard resets until HP released their first battery patch. (Device hard reset every time I removed/changed the battery). After that fix I expereinced a few additional hard resets until I narrowed the problem down to a Today screen plug-in. I too was damning HP around that time.

Happy to say that I use my device every day and have not needed to hard reset in more than a year (still running PPC2002). I have 30+ third party apps on my device but none of them interfere with the OS.

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Purchased Dec 12, 2002 w/2year carepaq/accidental damage..
New Danish Battery February 2003
Replaced entire device March 2003
Upgrade to Windows PPC2003

3 hard resets.... always when you least expect it... NEVER DEPEND ON THESE Devices.
So let's do the math. In about 18 months, you've had a total of three hard resets. That averages out to one every six months. While there of course shouldn't be any spontaneous hard resets, that doesn't seem too bad. I suspect some people hard reset their Pocket PCs intentionally more often than that to clean things out.

I've had an iPAQ 5550 for almost six months (that I bought refurbished), and haven't had any spontaneous hard resets. I did have to hard reset it myself for a ROM upgrade, but that doesn't really count.

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 05:19 AM
I disagree - I haven't had a spontaneous hard reset in years, and would be unhappy to see it. However, I suspect chapter was a particularly bad case, and it's too bad it didn't work out for him.

--janak

milkman dan
06-19-2004, 10:59 AM
I am buying either an integrated Motorola Device or a Treo next time.

ick :( free money > speeding tickit > a kick in the nuts > raped in jail > palm. imo anyways :D

that_kid
06-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Like Janak it's been years since i've had a spontaneous hard reset. This is while using a 5455 and my current main devide(ipaq 5555). I can say that when i first got my 5455 I had reset problems but after the first rom update things have been fine.

dh
06-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I used my Axim everyday for eighteen months and never experienced a hard reset.

Maybe there is something wrong with the Ipaq in question. If you can't rely on your PPC to work when you need it, it's no use at all.

Can applications cause a hard reset? I know that they can need a soft reset from time to time but I thought a hard reset could only be initiated mechanically.

Pony99CA
06-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Maybe there is something wrong with the Ipaq in question. If you can't rely on your PPC to work when you need it, it's no use at all.
As I said, a hard reset every six months, while not good, would hardly lead me to call a Pocket PC "no use at all". I've heard of users who do hard resets intentionally just to "clean up" their Pocket PCs.

While it certainly is horribly inconvenient, with a current backup, it shouldn't be that bad.

Can applications cause a hard reset? I know that they can need a soft reset from time to time but I thought a hard reset could only be initiated mechanically.
Nope, applications can do hard resets. Check out Philippe Majerus' Task Manager (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/TaskMgr/), which is one application that claims it can hard reset your Pocket PC. I say "claims" because I haven't tried it, but you're welcome to let us know if it works. :-D

Steve

dh
06-19-2004, 03:01 PM
As I said, a hard reset every six months, while not good, would hardly lead me to call a Pocket PC "no use at all". I've heard of users who do hard resets intentionally just to "clean up" their Pocket PCs.

It's one thing performing an HR to start with a clean device, quite another to be all set to do a presentation for a client and the bloody thing hard resets and takes you by surprise!

Like you say Steve, it shows the importance of keeping a complete backup on a memory card so you can get going again quickly. The question is how many people actually do have an up to date backup at all times?

Personally I've been lucky, no HR problems and a backup with me anyway.
Nope, applications can do hard resets. Check out Philippe Majerus' Task Manager (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/TaskMgr/), which is one application that claims it can hard reset your Pocket PC. I say "claims" because I haven't tried it, but you're welcome to let us know if it works. :-D

Hmmm... that's interesting. I suppose a dodgy application could perform the same reset routine without the user knowing if you were really unlucky.
I hope the Task Manager app doesn't make it too easy to perform a hard reset if you really want a soft one. Now that would be annoying!

Pony99CA
06-19-2004, 06:00 PM

Hmmm... that's interesting. I suppose a dodgy application could perform the same reset routine without the user knowing if you were really unlucky.
I hope the Task Manager app doesn't make it too easy to perform a hard reset if you really want a soft one. Now that would be annoying!
The last time I checked, they were separate menu items, and I believe each displayed a message requiring the user to confirm the reset. (I stopped using it because the Kill Process part didn't seem to work on my iPAQ 3870.)

UPDATE: I just installed it to check again. A soft reset requires a Yes/No confirmation. A hard reset requires you to type in your Device Name. And I still can't kill a process on my iPAQ 5550.

My worry would be that somebody would create a Trojan Horse hard reset program. "Check out this neat new game!" "This program tweaks Pocket PCs to add an alarm time in Tasks!" Sounds great -- until you lose your data. :evil:

Steve

wiljs
09-18-2004, 03:14 PM
so something is going on...i have a good back up so I can restore it and all my critical info is in the file store or sd card...but something is going on here...it just does a hard reset...the battery is charged...I keep it in a cradle when I am not moving around...I didn't do anything myself...like change the battery...so I don't know what is going on...