View Full Version : Practicality of using PPC phones as mutlifunction device

thechrisjung
06-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi posted a similair post on the Ipaq forums but realised my questions was better suited here.

I have been looking at current PPC phones (imate/xda2) and upcoming devices such as the ipaq 6300.
The reason I am waiting and willing to spend the money on these device is due to its multifunction potential. I would use it as a phone/pda/mp3 player/ect.
Ive read some posts regarding use of ppc's as a mp3 player and the consesus seems to be the batterylife is decent enough for most people.
However, Im not familiar with the use of pda devices as phones. Wouldnt using the device as a phone mean the ipaq would have to be on continuously greatly reducing the potential for multifunction use (b/c of battery life).
Please help me decide on the practicality of using the current and upcoming ppc phones as a mutlifunciton device.

Thx everyone

Qman
06-09-2004, 05:08 PM
The only really power draw on the battery is when the phone is in uses, plus you can also turn off the radio manually if you like to save power!

I don't listen to MP3's all that much so I can't provide any help in that area but as long as you turn off the screen during play you should get pretty good battery life in that area.

BTW FYI the radio is the part that the phone uses to connect to the network.

Jon Westfall
06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Battery life really isn't an issue for me now, and I'll tell you why.

I use mine for practically everything. I've already killed one i-mate and am on my second right now. Battery was a problem until I realzed how I could charge periodically through out the day and avoid it. For example, instead of leaving my I-Mate on my desk while working, I remember to cradle it. When driving and using it in the powered mount, I remember to actually hook up the wires to power it. Its little things like that. I also carry around a "travel kit" that lets me power it from a wall, car, or even 4 AA batteries. Plus it has a sync cable, which is always needed.

Some may say I shouldn't have to charge it a lot, but I just can't see worrying about battery when my own laziness can be part to blame.

surur
06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
However, Im not familiar with the use of pda devices as phones. Wouldnt using the device as a phone mean the ipaq would have to be on continuously greatly reducing the potential for multifunction use (b/c of battery life).

Your device does not have to be on to receive telephone calls in the same way it would be on to play mp3's. It can happily wake up when a call is received from suspend. I find a bluetooth connection is a much more significant power drain than a GSM connection.

I however agree that a cradle at home and cradle at work (and one for the car) would remove any worries you could have about battery life.

Surur

Gavin Henriques
06-14-2004, 04:33 PM
I have recently began using an i-mate PPC Phone. I find carrying 1 device so much easier! Syncing 1 device instead of 2... much easier! The only downside is battery life. I carry a spare battery (so much for carrying 1 device. 8O ) and charge when I can, ie. like while driving or at my desk. Despite this, I can't envision going back to multiple devices. I do use my i-mate for mp3's and when a call is coming in, my music suspends while I do what I have to. I have found that the radio does not draw too much power. For instance, I take my i-mate out at 8am and I get my first call 4 hrs. later without any other use, my battery will be at 95-96%. I believe the new iPAQ PPC Phone will have better battery life (due to processor and larger capacity battery). Make the switch! You will not regret it! :wink:

sxt1173
06-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Some tips that I use for power saving.

1. Turn the brightness down to one notch above off. This saves a tremendous amount of power and unless in brilliant sunshine I dont have an issue seeing the screen
2. When playing an mp3 and not requiring the screen, press and hold the on/off button for a couple of seconds. This will deactivate the backlight - again saving power.
3. Charging. I am able to split my charger from the cradle as my USB port charges the device. This means I can use the charger in another location.
4. Volume - when listening to MP3's through the headset, make sure that the volume is at maximum on the headset itself. This allows the minimum draw from the device to acheive the right sound output level.
5. Make sure bluetooth is turned off on the device as this sucks most of the battery life out of the device.

I have been using an imate for the last 9 months and dont have a problem with power consumption. I get a good days worth out of the device and use it for email, MP3's when travelling, phone etc.

Word has it that the new ipaq also has good battery life with major steps forward on power saving with the processor. Seeing is believing...as they say so the jury is still out ( although should get one in the next few weeks ).

Ping me if you need any further help.