View Full Version : Avantgo on Pocket PC 2002 via DSL Broadband

pnjm
06-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Hello

How do I get Avantgo to work via a DSL connection?

I can get Avantgo to work correctly on my NEC Mobile Pro P300 via a 56k dialup (ie. PDA in the cradle, Activesync works, Avantgo on the PDA can "access the network", can search for and save web pages to my device) but I can't get through "the network" once I try using a DSL connection on another PC.

Activesync is not the issue since everything else on my PDA syncs correctly on that broadband-capable PC, and the DSL connection works just fine for surfing the Net - I get no hardware error messages from the router or anything like that.

I seem to remember seeing on the Avantgo website that there is an instruction set on - effectively - how to access Avantgo on a broadband connection for Palm Avantgo users, but no equivalent instruction set for Pocket PC 2002 users.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

PN

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 04:16 AM
Hmmm. How are you connecting to the DSL line on the Pocket PC -- via WiFi? And does PIE work?

If I remember correctly, to update AvantGo when wireless, you have to go into it and navigate through the Settings screens to force a manual update. I haven't done it in a while, though.

--janak

pnjm
06-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Sorry: in reply to this :

"..Hmmm. How are you connecting to the DSL line on the Pocket PC -- via WiFi? And does PIE work?

If I remember correctly, to update AvantGo when wireless.. "

I am not connecting via wireless. I'm doing it via Activesync to a PC. I just don't know how to access Avantgo when the PC's connection to the Web is via DSL. When the PC is connecting via dialup I have no problems getting the pages and saving them to my PDA.

Thanks

PN.

Fishie
06-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Should be the same way really.

If the passtrough connection is working you can try opening avantgo on your PDA and choosing the sync option from within the program itself.

yankeejeep
06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
I have a notebook as the PC side of my ActiveSync and sometimes connect through dial-up and sometimes through DSL, depending on where I am. AvantGo works fine through both as long as I have established an internet connection before attempting to sync.

Do you have a firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm) running that may be blocking ActiveSync's access to the internet? You should check the list of allowed programs; make sure ActiveSync has internet permission and also that it is allowed to act as a server. If your firewall has ActiveSync on its bad list, AvantGo would be the item impacted since most of the rest connects to your Outlook folders rather than directly to the internet. If you have DSL, I will bet there is a firewall in place and that may very well be the culprit.

pnjm
06-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the tip on firewalls. I hadn't thought of that. Will check it out.

PN

pnjm
07-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Just a quick & short update on the problem - solved it. Firewalls after all. Now my network is totally unsecure ;-)) but at least I can get Avantgo on my PDA!

PN

currahee
07-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Well if you have ZA or some other kind of firewall, you need to give ActiveSync unrestricted access. PPC and the PC communicate via activesync by using a net port.
In ZA you should give it full server and access permissions