View Full Version : Remote Active Sync works ... I don't get it!

karinatwork
06-05-2004, 11:11 PM
I've been trying to remotely sync my pocket pc for the last few days. I tried everything, to make it work via bluetooth.

Then I did something, and I guess it is now connected via the WLAN, but I don't know how I did it. It works fine, and that should be what matters, but I want to know why it works via the LAN and not via Bluetooth.
On my pocket pc I can browse the folders on my laptop when I switch on Bluetooth, but Bluetooth Active Stink just doesn't seem to work.

Wonders of technology... :|

K.

Sven Johannsen
06-06-2004, 03:54 AM
When you are on the Lan (Wifi) the PPC just needs to be able to resolve the partner's address (IP). That is handled quite well in PPC2003.

To sync via BT the PPC must connect to the PC via a virtual serial port, and that virtual serial port must be the one that AS is looking at. Then it syncs as if it were connected by a serial cable.

The best way to set this up is start with an iPAQ. That's just because that is what I have and it seems easy. Use the BT connection manager to set up an Active Sync profile. It will get you to the point that the desktop BT will see a device connecting via a serial port, with the pop up checks and PINs. You then have to figure out what the PC has decided that serial port is. You can find that either in the desktop device manager or the BT manager. My Billionton USB BT happens to set up a virtual comm port on comm 4. You need to set whater that is in the 'Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this comm port' in AS's Connection settings screen.

Hopefully once that is set, and the serial connection capability has been established once, starting the new AS BT profile in the BT manager will get you right on. Good luck. If it is going to be a wire replacement technology, it should be as easy as connecting a wire, shouldn't it.