View Full Version : Make .MKV play on a pocket PC?

yalborap
06-05-2004, 11:06 PM
I was wondering if there's a way to make an MKV movie(no subtitles, dual audio but I only use one of the audio options, so I'll be removing that if possible.) play on a pocket PC or a palm.

Thanks in advance.

jeffmd
06-11-2004, 09:39 PM
no, but betaplayer has plans. you will how ever need to recompress the video if its not within your pocket pc's playback capabilities.

ultraman
06-19-2004, 04:34 AM
See this post. For the latest features of the BetaPlayer 0.04

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=256026#256026

maikii
06-29-2004, 09:42 PM
no, but betaplayer has plans. you will how ever need to recompress the video if its not within your pocket pc's playback capabilities.

Yes, I don't know of any PPC player that currently plays Matroska, but players like Betaplayer probably will in the future. Betaplayer and PocketMVP do play OGM, which has some of the same advantages as Matroska, such as chapters, just like the chapters on a DVD. (By the way, although OGM was invented by the same people who invented OGG sound format, an OGM movie does not have to use OGG sound format. They can have any of the same sound formats an AVI can have, but also OGG as a possibility.)

I'll correct one thing--Jeff--I don't think you have to recompress the video. Matroska is not a compression format, it's only a container, as is OGM and AVI.

Open the .mkv in VirtualDubMod, make sure "Direct Stream Copy" is set for both audio and video (so that there will be no recompression), then save as an .AVI or an .OGM. It will take less than a minute, whereas recompression could take hours, and could degrade video quality.