View Full Version : Pls recommend working router/iPAQ 5450 combo

bdavidson9554
06-05-2004, 06:12 AM
My Netgear MR814 wireless router's internet port has died and I will be replacing the router very soon. Since my iPAQ H5450 never could pull a DHCP address from this router, I'm potentially looking at switching to another brand of 802.11b router.

Can anyone recommend an 802.11b router that is known to work with an iPAQ H5450 running WM2003? For the purposes of this discussion, my definition of "work" is that it will successfully pull a DHCP address from the router.

First-hand experiences preferred. Thanks!

Brian

OSUKid7
06-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, I love having a server under my router to act as a DHCP server. That's what I'm currently doing, and it works a ton better than my router ever did. It lets me still use DHCP on all of my clients, but still get the same IP for the computers that I want to - such as my computer.

I would still recommend Linksys, even after the recent bug found in their routers. I would get the WRT54G or WRT54GS. I have the BEFW11S4 v2, and haven't had any big problems, other than, as I mentioned, problems getting the same IP with DHCP after a reset of the device. Not a big problem for most peolpe.

lowair
06-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi, I have an Ipaq 5550 that I use all the time on my network. I have used it with the Linksys wrt54g and the Belkin wireless gateway router. The ipaq has worked with both routers with out any problems. :lol:

tvalentin
06-18-2004, 01:12 PM
The Buffalo G54 Router works great with my Ipaq5450 (wm 2003). It also has a four port switch buit in, and is availble reasonably cheaply.

serpico
06-19-2004, 07:47 AM
I've been pulling my hair tonight trying to get my new hp4150 to connect to my Apple Airport base station. I've read the wifi article over at aximsite but it didn't help.

I use the Airport as a AP connected to a SMC router that is running DHCP. Now after trying to enter the MAC address of the iPaq into the admin utility program for the Airport base station, it doesn't work anymore even after a reset.

I'm tired tonight and have tried everything. Have you guys had experience with this model or can point me into the right direction? I'm ready to chuck this and buy a linksys to replace all these items! :evil:

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I've been pulling my hair tonight trying to get my new hp4150 to connect to my Apple Airport base station. I've read the wifi article over at aximsite but it didn't help.
I don't have an Airport, but it should work. As a debugging step, turn off MAC filtering/SSID hiding/WEP and see if it works, then reenable one feature at a time until you find what's causing the problem. Also make sure your Airport's firmware is up to date...

--janak

serpico
06-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Thanks I'll try that tonight and see how far I get and report back. :wink:

serpico
06-20-2004, 05:49 AM
I'm writing this from my wireless ipaq! I got it working but after a hard reset on the Airport base station & reconfig. This is so cool. 8)

Janak Parekh
06-20-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm writing this from my wireless ipaq! I got it working but after a hard reset on the Airport base station & reconfig. This is so cool. 8)
Congrats! :D

--janak