View Full Version : How do u repair screen scratches :(

Veggie_Musician
06-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Ive just scratched to screen of my new 4150 - its not that bad but can see it in sun light

yanathin
06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
I did the same thing in several places... I don't know how it happens, either. I keep mine in a nice case and always use my stylus. I'm not sure if you can repair it though... I don't think there's anything out there that can just take them away, other than getting a new screen cover and voiding your warranty or something. But if anybody knows, I'd really like to hear how to do it, too.

Robb Bates
06-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I scratched my screen only about a month after I got it. It was fairly noticeable but didn't affect performance.

DO THIS!!!!

Take out your credit card, go to Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp) and fork over the cash for some WriteShields. Yes, it'll cost you $26.99, but believe me, it'll be the best $26.99 you've spent. Once you install it, it somehow makes minor surface scratches disappear. I've forgotten that I scratched my screen.

DO NOT get WriteRights from Fellows. THEY CREATE A MAJOR VACUUM. Not all screen protectors are the same. There are some other good screen protectors that others will no doubt suggest in this thread. They are probably just as good, but I only have experience with WriteShields and you'll thank me/us for encouraging you to get some.

Robb

OSUKid7
06-05-2004, 03:29 AM
Robb Bates, first of all, he's already scratched it...so puting screen protectors on it wouldn't make a difference.

Secondly, I use WriteRights, and have on my 3870 for years. Never had any major problems. I've had a few bubbles (not a vacuum...not sure what you meant by that), but nothing that I notice in daily use. I change mine every 4-6 months. (Wich reminds me I need to do that soon...have been seeing a few finger prints on it recently.)

Brad Adrian
06-05-2004, 04:00 AM
Robb Bates, first of all, he's already scratched it...so puting screen protectors on it wouldn't make a difference.
I think his point was that putting the screen protector on, even at this point, will hide the scratch.

Other than that, I don't know of any proven way to "repair" a scratch. I've heard unsubstantiated claims that a product like ArmourAll will help, but I haven't tried it.

I've recently been seeing commercials on TV for a liquid product for (supposedly) repairing eyeglass scratched. It looks like some kind of cheap brush-on polymer, but I've been curious about whether it would work on a Pocket PC screen. Anybody out there tried it yet?

torok
06-05-2004, 04:16 AM
They make a bunch of cleaners for iPods. Don't know if that would work, but you could look into it.

Oregon Trail
06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I use the Fellows product and also am not sure what you meant about a vacuum. If purchasing screen protectors, buy more than you think you will need. My PPC is several years old, and I can't find the right size anymore.

JimPAQ
06-15-2004, 05:29 AM
I have used both Fellows and Write and I haven't noticed a difference in them. When I had my Jornada, I didn't use a screen protector and the screen had many little nicks in it. Putting a screen protector on it did make the nicks harder to notice. When I got the 2215, I bought screen protectors at the same time and now the screen is still as nice as the day I got it. It does have plenty of scratches on the case from being dropped a few times. But the screen looks nice.

--Jim