View Full Version : Mobile Internet Speeds

VictoNight
06-03-2004, 02:25 AM
I'm interested in pairing up my h2215 with a T-Mobile Internet plan. I want to do this through bluetooth. However, I can't find anything on what kind of speeds I can expect. I know it will vary day to day but I was hoping that some of you with experience could help me out.

Victor

yanathin
06-03-2004, 02:56 AM
I have the $19.99/month T-mobile Internet Plan bluetoothed with my Sony T610 cell phone. When I installed Resco Explorer with the FTP add-in, it showed download speeds of around 6 kb/sec. Seems about right in Pocket IE, too. The only thing about loading websites is that for some reason, it takes a while to actually start loading the web page. After that kicks in though, it feels just like a 56k. You can also get free internet access all the time with any T-Mobile voice plan, but the speeds are much, much slower, and it uses air time. Hope this helps.

VictoNight
06-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I was considering the same route, using a T-Mobile voice plan with a T610 and an unlimited internet connection for $19.99. But I guess I didn't look in to it well enough. It really eats into your voice minutes? Are their any other fun catches? Is this the best way to go? Or should I go with someone else for my Bluetooth internet?

Thank you,

Victor

Ryan Joseph
06-03-2004, 06:11 PM
The T-Mobile free data plan does not use your minutes.

I have been using it for several months without any additional charges on my bill. I connect to wap.voicestream.com.

And, while it's slower than my cable modem at home, the connection speed is pretty good. I'm not complaining! :mrgreen:

yanathin
06-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Really? Am I the only one with unbelievably slow internet or something? Trying to visit websites in Pocket IE is nearly impossible.. it's so incredibly slow. And everybody over at T-Mobile said the free internet through WAP ate up my minutes, so I didn't try it more than a few minutes through FTP just to test the speed, and that didn't even work. Pocket IE also seemed a lot slower than it already was...

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 04:50 AM
if you have a third party smtp server, what tmobile plan do you need to use that?

Brad Adrian
06-04-2004, 04:59 AM
I was considering the same route, using a T-Mobile voice plan with a T610 and an unlimited internet connection for $19.99.
That's exactly the setup that I've been using for a while now and I like it a lot. I had been using a T68i, but its ability to connect was very unpredictable. The T610 is MUCH better.

Once you get it all set up on your Pocket PC, everything should work automatically. For instanct, you tap on PIE and it automatically initiates the Bluetooth connection, "dials" to the Internet and connects.

I've been playing around a bit with that setup and a mobile blog (or "moblog"). These are special blog services that allow you to send an e-mail with a photo attachment to a special address to have it automatically posted to your blog. The e-mail Subject becomes the photo caption and the message body becomes the description.

That's the kind of fun you can have with your new setup.

VictoNight
06-05-2004, 04:04 AM
So, for the sake of a newbie, could you explain the steps I should take to make this all happen? From the hardware needed to dealing with T-Mobile to setting up the connection. I’ve all but signed up for a plan but want to make sure and avoid any mishaps. Were I’m at right now is, well, I’ve got my 2215... :)
Appreciate the help,
Victor