View Full Version : Backup Philosophy Question (Sprite Backup)

Lex
06-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I use Sprite Backup to backup my whole PPC. I set it to save my last 4 backups and it saves the last 3. Who knows why? But I backup almost daily to protect myself in the case of a hard crash; I want to capture everything I did up to yesterday.

Another idea is to backup less often in hopes that the oldest backup might be the cleanest, given I do try new software pretty often.

Is there a way to take a backup today and put it somewhere for safekeeping for a month or so, then replace that old one in a month, while continuing to save the last 3 daily backups?

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks Brain Trust !

drowe
06-03-2004, 02:10 AM
I have Sprite backup daily at 04:00 to the SD card. Before I install any potentially flakey software, I just use Explorer to copy the latest daily backup to my PC. That way I always have the most current backup on the card to restore if I need to on the fly and if I get in real trouble I have a series of "known good" configurations stored on my PC. My philosophy on backing up any system is when I get nervous about having to re-do what I've done since the last backup, it's time to take a break and back up again, whether it's been 2 hours or 2 weeks. I know everybody else will have their own plans but this has worked for me.

cyclist
06-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I use Sprite Backup to backup my whole PPC. I set it to save my last 4 backups and it saves the last 3. Who knows why? But I backup almost daily to protect myself in the case of a hard crash; I want to capture everything I did up to yesterday.

Another idea is to backup less often in hopes that the oldest backup might be the cleanest, given I do try new software pretty often.

Is there a way to take a backup today and put it somewhere for safekeeping for a month or so, then replace that old one in a month, while continuing to save the last 3 daily backups?

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks Brain Trust !

I don't know of a way to do what you want automatically. So I'd suggest carrying on with your current setting so you always have the 3 most recent backups. Handle the need for a monthly copy by creating a task that recurs monthly to remind you to make a copy of the backup.

tanalasta
06-03-2004, 04:20 PM

Either copy the backup file onto your computer or rename/store the in a different directory to the one that Sprite saves it's backup files onto.

One small bug I've found with Sprite backup is if you do more than one backup on the same-day, it asks you if you want to delete the previous image file with the same name. When it deletes this file, it leaves you one backup short: Hence this may be the reason you're finding it only keeps the last 3 backups and not 4 which is what you instructed it to do.